*Stanton took the kids outside as the storm front moved in. As the winds were gusting, Lily looked at Stanton and said, "Is he coming, Daddy?" "Is who coming?," Stanton asked. "The Savior," was Lily's reply. A nursery lesson or remembering?
*Chloe had a pretty rough day today -- regression from the huge improvements she's been making. I wasn't very patient. And I'm sorry for that.
*Sacrament meeting was c-razy. I was sweating bullets. Our snack cups are really really small, but when they're spilled all over the floor, it feels like an entire box of Cheerios. And a drink spilled all over the floor never seems minor. Thank goodness it was water. Unfortunately, it spilled on Jared Day's church manual. Sorry Jared.
*We attended the baptism of a boy in our ward Saturday. It was a sweet experience. And Lily just didn't understand why she couldn't dress in white and get baptized by her daddy right then and there.
*Speaking of baptizing, Jared was holding Cannon during sacrament meeting and spilled a sacrament cup of water on his head. His dad, Craig, leaned over and said, "Cannon's been baptized!" (Angie, I hope that's okay to tease about? Tell me if it isn't, please!)
*I've been pondering this scripture today after a great lesson from our bishop, Bishop Farmer. 2 Nephi 2:22-23
22 And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end.
23 And they would have had no achildren; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no bjoy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no csin.
*I'm wondering if Brigham's missing his former role of baby of the family...
*Brigham is starting to learn what it means to "talk like a big boy" and the benefits that follow. His favorite word lately is "Peeease?"
Families are the center of Heavenly Father's plan and I'm thinking this scripture reveals why that it so. "...they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy for they knew no misery..." Isn't that the truth? Children are the most intense source of misery we can experience (I know, I know, but stick with me for a minute...) -- whether it's the unfulfilled desire for children, or a child who is rebelling, or the early stages of nursing, or temper tantrums , etc. But experiencing that misery makes the moments of joy so incredibly joyous. Holding a newborn in your arms, seeing a child take his first steps, hearing them tell you about their first day of school, sending a child on a mission, seeing them marry a good companion, etc. Family is where we experience the best and the worst of life -- and, for me, it helps me understand that even at its worst, it's the best.
*I'm wondering if Brigham's missing his former role of baby of the family...
13 comments:
Great Sunday Thinkins!!! I was sad to see Stanton hold up the maple over the fence, too! I loved the colors that we could see a top the fence. And no worries about the baptism comment - I actually chuckled at it...we'd probably make the same comment if it happend in our company!
Hope your Monday goes better and Rick is hoping that they get to go for a ride too! If you want to get the kids together on this rainy day, give us a call... We were going to go to the remote control airshow, but I don't think that'll be happen' with the wonderful clouds and rain that I can see outside.
Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing them.
I'm sorry about your tree, that is sad. Do you think you'll plant another one in it's place? Japanese Maples are really cool, I want one in our yard but don't know where it would go.
I love those thoughts on children and joy and misery. That is so true! I think that having children can help us to get closer to the knowledge of how much we are loved by our Heavenly parents.
Ironic you would have these thoughts on children, joy and misery as Dad and I just had a discussion about this the other day. It is also true in regard to marriage (all part of family). (Do you remember CS Lewis learning and then teaching this great truth after his marriage to and the death of Joy, the love of his life? This principle was a great eye-opener for him!)
Two steps forward and one step back with Chloe--it is bound to happen but discouraging I am sure. Give her extra loves and kisses today.
Reading of Lily's comment gave me pause. I doubt that was a nursery lesson unless her teacher is already teaching out of the brand new manual Dad just received a copy of the other day! I choose to believe she remembers!
Did the girls put Brigham in the car seat or did he manage this all by himself? Hilarious!
We're so sorry about your tree You must be having some nasty winds down there!
PS The CS Lewis question is a test, Miss "movie buff". This story is told in one of my favorite movies of all time! It's pretty sad I can remember the name of the movie but not the book in which he teaches the truth.
Mom, I'm pretty sure it's Shadowlands, right? Great movie. And Brigham did that all by himself.
Tay, we'll definitely replant there. It's just the sort of spot that needs a tree. Stanton's thinking he wants to plant a more mature one this time. We'll see. But I need a tree there! I loved looking out at that one in particular from our porch doors.
I have a really funny picture of Kaylee in the bassinet with a binky in her mouth just after Spencer was born. These little people are so fun. I am grateful for your thoughts as well, it's hard not to get caught up in the misery. Sometimes I feel like all my kids do is try find some reason to argue with each other...I just have to try to be more grateful for the happy moments.
Oh, I'm so sorry about your little tree. That makes me sad. You'll have to plant another maple.
Enjoyed your other thoughts. :)
Thanks for the insight, Juj! I know understand what mom and dad meant when they said they hurt when we made bad choices and had joy when we were good! I totally get that now and I, like Talaisa, think that these experiences help us know how our Heavenly Father feels when we make good and bad choices! Love you tons and appreciate your thoughts on a day when I really needed to be uplifted. (not that I don't need that everday)
Agreed. The little boogers give me so much grief, but then they give me those big cow eyes and I melt and hold them and just love 'em. How could I not? The punks. :)
I'm sorry for your tree, and what Lily said was priceless! Love that stuff.
I was just reading the comments and came upon mine and just for the record, I do (know) how to spell (now)! I should slow down a bit while typing
Julie, send me your new e-mail address, I lost it and need to e-mail you! Brooke
What a wonderful journal entry! It is so interesting to read of your parenting experiences that are so reminiscent to Mom and me! Your sweet children are doing just fine-even though there are times you wonder. With the perspective of many years and many experiences, I am more convinced than ever that earth life, especially in its early stages, is not so much a steadily rising continuum (as I once expected) as it is a series of cycles where the lows gradually become "not so low" and the highs, exhilarating!
I love you all so much. It is incredible to watch you as you parent these beautiful souls!
Love, Dad
Julie-
I finally started a blog! I just love yours, and I added your address to my page - I hope that's ok!
Mine is at ourbethsaida.blogspot.com
Love you!
Rachel
Post a Comment