08 September 2008

So, Here's the Thing....

I haven't gotten on the computer much lately...and when I do, I spend the entire allotted time catching up on everyone else's blogs. By the time I'm done reading, commenting (very little lately, sorry), and bookmarking, someone needs to be fed, changed, read to, wiped, reprimanded, loved...well, you get the picture. As a result, I am so behind. In fact, I feel behind in everything. Behind on the laundry, behind on the dishes, behind on the bag orders, behind on the other sewing projects I want to do, behind on birthday cards, behind on thank you cards (for the record, I did receive your gift, and thank you so much), behind on scripture study, behind on blogging, behind on grocery shopping, behind on meal planning, eating right, and cooking, behind on exercising, behind on personal grooming (although I have kept my resolve to shower every day -- I've only missed once since Cannon was born)....I'm behind on life. It took me almost 3 weeks to return the dishes in which people brought dinner to me. One neighbor even sent her son over to get the casserole dish from us. Embarrassing. And I returned everything without thank you notes. Double embarrassing.

To even out the scale just a little, though, here are some things I have done:
*Made visiting teaching appointments for the month.
*Froze beans, corn, and tomatoes (not a lot, just a few quart bags of each, but hey, I did some).
*Got four bag orders in the mail last week.
*Put away my maternity clothes and organized our bedroom closet.
*Had Family Home Evening tonight.
*Called most of the family to let them know when we're blessing Cannon. Most. If you haven't gotten a call from me, your phone was either busy or you don't have an answering machine or I don't have your phone number. I'm working on it.

Well, that's not bad, I guess. But there's much to catch up on. Here's the attempt at one of them...skim as you please. And I can't find my camera cord (that's a perfect example of my "behindness" lately -- I always know where that is. It's always in the basket on the top shelf of the kitchen desk cupboard. Really. But it's not there. Sigh.....), so just imagine what cute pictures might have accompanied these items.

------------------------

We're blessing Cannon on the 12th of October. Our Sacrament meeting starts at 1:00 pm.

------------------------

Chloe started preschool on the 2nd of September. She goes 3 days a week for two hours. She loves it. She goes T, W, and Th, so every day since then, she's been asking when she gets to go back. Thank goodness Tuesday is almost here again!
It's been fun to see her come home with those bright eyes and so willing to share everything she did. I can't remember why I fought so hard internally about sending her to preschool. I am glad I waited till the year before kindergarten, though.

-------------------------

Cannon is sleeping through the night most nights. That is, if I feed him from 9:30 - 11:00 pm and then rock him to sleep. Totally worth it if he sleeps until 7:00 am.
He still has all of his dark thick hair and a little acne to go with it. He is holding his head up so well and is really starting to look around. He spends a lot of time cross-eyed, but his focus is getting better. He's also starting to be awake a little more. Not too much, but a little. He's still a little angel and the kids are loving him. Brigham even learned to say his name.

------------------------

Saturday we got a little spontaneous and drove to Jackson with the kids. We decided to drive over and cheer our brother-in-law, Don, across the finish line for LOTOJA. He and our cousin-in-law, Jon, rode the race as a relay and did the whole 206 miles in about 10 1/2 hours. How crazy is that? If you know the terrain from Logan to Jackson (get it, Lo to Ja?), you know that this is a seriously gruelling race.
Anyway, Stanton recently bought a road bike and has totally loved riding it. He's actually enjoying exercise, which I love. Since he's, like, totally into cycling now, we had to follow the route of the race and see the die-hards racing. It was actually a lot of fun and the kids did remarkably well...thanks in no small part to the DVD player. There was a lot of Blue's Clues, Leap Frog Letter Factory, and Strawberry Shortcake playing throughout the day. And there may or may not have been some Benadryl involved in the drive home. For 4 hours in the car, followed by 1 hour out of the car, followed by another 3 1/2 hours in the car, we had a fun time and the kids were great. It's good to be a little spontaneous, even if it requires a stop at the Jackson Hole Albertson's for binkies, sippy cups, milk, snacks, drinks, and possibly drugs. Totally worth it.
And Don & Jon, you are the men.

-----------------------------

My good nutrition habits have completely fallen by the wayside. I am finding myself snacking on garbage, drinking soda, eating far too much, and far too often than I ever have. It's ridiculous. And as a result, my clothes are not fitting at all the way they once did. I finally put my maternity clothes downstairs and am forcing myself into my jeans only because I hope that if I'm miserable for long enough, I'll change my ways. That reminds me, though, that I have made some progress on the exercise front. Not really, but maybe I've gotten closer to making some progress? You decide:

Friday was a bad day. I was tired, the kids were fighting, and our upstairs looked like a tornado swept through it. I had asked the girls to go down and clean up the toy room about 15 times already when I totally lost it and screamed at them. I don't mean I raised my voice. I mean I screamed. And loud. And then, of course, I cried. So I went downstairs with them (leaving the upstairs a disaster), and started helping them clean. One thing led to another and I got obsessed with dejunking it. Of course the kids wanted little to do with that, so they started playing with and fighting over everything I pulled out. I was about to lose it again when Stanton came downstairs. Miracle! It was only about 11:30 in the morning and he was home for the day! He just looked at me with a smile and said, "Rough day?" I totally broke down in tears and he scooped up the girls (Brig was, thankfully, down for a nap) and took them to McDonald's and the park for lunch and to the mountains for an adventure. He had them for about 2-3 hours while I got the toy room cleaned out. I had 2 bags of garbage (do your dress-ups get ratty and nasty, too? and how do all those junky little toys make it into the house? I swear we do not frequent McDonald's, but our toybox looked like a Happy Meal toy breeding ground) and a DI box when I finished. I also put away several toys so I could rotate them later.
When Stanton got home, he let me go (with Cannon, of course) out to drop off the DI box and have some time to myself. I ended up being gone for 3 hours. It was so nice. I went to the mall to find some jeans that would fit comfortably. I made the mistake of going to Aeropostale. That store is not made for mothers of 4. Or anyone over 25, for that matter. I grabbed a couple pairs of jeans 2 sizes over my normal (Old Navy sizes, not Aeropostale -- why can't these companies just make a size the same all the way across the board?). I got to the dressing room thinking surely this size would be comfortable and get me through till I was back in my normal jeans. Wrong. I couldn't even zip them. It was at that moment I realized I needed to stop shopping for in between jeans and start getting back in shape. So, I quickly left the mall and headed over to Sports Authority where I bought workout clothes and a good pair of shoes. And I decided I am going to train for a triathalon. (Sara, what advice do you have?) So, this week I'm getting a membership at our local gym (they have childcare, so I can go during the day). I'm no athlete, but I'm excited to see what I can do.

-----------------------

Oh, how could I forget this? Stanton and I celebrated our 6th anniversary on the 30th of August! We went to dinner at Hamilton's and then went to Shopko and the DI.
I don't really know how I feel about 6 years of marriage. It seems like such a short period of time when I look at that number. But when I look at the last 6 years of my life, it's been anything but short. We've done so much in those years -- enough that it feels like we've been married forever. In six years we've finished dental school, finished a residency, moved 6 times (and we've been in our home for 2 of those years), had 4 children, started a business, the list goes on. I hardly remember the life I was living before Stanton. And I love this life. Stanton and I are definitely a great match. We are both quite stubborn which has, at times, made for some frustrating arguments and fights, but that stubbornness is also what makes our relationship so good -- we really temper one another. As the years go by, too, I've noticed a mellowing of our personalities. We let go of things more readily, we laugh about little quirks, we are more aware of one another's needs. It's been such a great experience thus far -- I'm really grateful we have so many years ahead of us, too. I love him and am privileged to be his companion. Even if he does take me to Shopko for our anniversary.

Tell me this, though, wouldn't a great 10th anniversary celebration be the London Olympics in 2012? I am already planning it...in my head.

Stanton just came in and told me Michael Phelps is on Jay Leno -- now that's true love.

--------------------------

I would really like a vacation right now. Just me and Stanton. Cannon will have to come along, but I'd really like it to be just the two of us.

--------------------------

Brigham is talking! He turned 2 and magically he's talking! He still grunts plenty, but every day he's saying new words, phrases, and early sentences.
Stanton started pulling out of the garage without me on Saturday and Brigham flipped out, "Daddy, wait. Mommy. Wait Mommy, Daddy! DADDY! WAIT MOMMY!!!" Stanton ended up having to pull back into the garage just to get him to stop screaming. It's nice to be loved.

--------------------------

Lily learned two hilarious songs in nursery and has been singing them around the house lately. One is about little hot dogs frying in a pan. She is so hilarious to watch sing it. She gets so intense frying those little hot dogs -- she ends up looking like she has some sort of tick. Okay, I need to video it and post it on here.

--------------------------

The girls started gymnastics once a week! They are loving it and I'm considering adding a second day to their classes. It's amazing what a difference it makes (for everyone) to have "stuff" to do. I don't want to get our lives too packed with activities, but having something to do a couple times a week is awesome.

-------------------------

I'm going to post on Scripture Sisters tomorrow. Really. I am.

-------------------------

The end.

17 comments:

Janelle said...

Well see there you go, you've gotten tons done! And you know what I do to make myself feel better? I order jeans online 2 sizes larger than I was when I got pregnant and have them arrive 1 week or so after giving birth along with some cute hip shirts and kabam I feel like a million bucks. But then I feel so good about myself that I end up just staying that size... hmm maybe going to the gym is the answer. Oh well, don't worry too much about bad days or yelling. Kids are totally resilient and nobody brought you dinner so they could get a thank you card. And... perfect people really are annoying so this just makes us like you so much more.

TaLaisa said...

Whew~ I'm tired and I'm just reading what you've done.

A triathalon sounds amazing and impressive. Which one are you going to do? My aunt used to do them all the time, I could find out a bunch of Utah options for you. I love running, I would start there. You could do the couch to 5k training and then run a 5k or two. Does your gym have a pool? A spinning class? Spinning and Pilates are my two very favorite gym classes and the very reason I'm so sad my membership has expired.

You did forget one thing. You didn't enter the 2nd giveaway on my bead blog!? You CAN enter every time.

Cheryl said...

Dude. You should not feel bad at all about any of that stuff. I'm serious. Your baby is a month old and you have only missed one day of showering?!
Dude.

What amazes me is your ability to have all these things going on [cleaning, de-junking (WOW!!), kids in school and activities, a 2 year old, shopping, harvesting, cooking, joining a gym (another WOW!!), celebrating your anniversary, a mini vacation] AND you feel bad for not blogging.

Wha?

Julie, you are seriously my hero. My hero in all of it and I wish I had your motivation. That is the one area where I lack the most, and I truly wish I could be a do-er like yourself. You are a do-er! You get it done! But go easy on yourself, okay? Slow and steady and you'll finish all the things you want to get finished. You just don't have to have it finished by *tomorrow*, right? :)

Man, I miss you.

Jocelyn said...

Tay, Stanton thinks I should do a 5k first, too, but I don't love running, so I think switching it up will be the thing that keeps me motivated.

The gym does have a pool. And they have personal trainers for hire, too. I'm hoping one will be able to get me ready for a triathalon.

And yes, I would love to know of some around Utah! That would be awesome! I need a goal to work toward, so that'd be great.

I know I need to get over and enter - I have been so behind! And I'll post about you here. Someday. :)

Janelle -- I love your idea! And I'm planning to email you back soon...planning...we'll see how that one goes...haha

Greg and Wendy said...

I love to read your blogs, sweetie! It makes me extremely tired just to read your schedule let alone actually live it! There is one thing that I learned as a parent that is helping me now a great deal as a stake president: don't expect change or perfection or obedience or success or forgiveness, or...(well, you know, the list goes on and on,) immediately. Instead, enjoy (and I mean enjoy! :)) the small victories! Having a sense of humor doesn't hurt either! (Shepherding 3,000 people of every description, age, ethnic and social background, preparation, education, desire, etc., is, shall we say, a challenge at times!) Your children are doing just fine--if they didn't fight a little bit, I'd wonder if you two were abusing them. :) (Seriously, we were taught recently that that is one of the signs--sad, huh?!) Anyway, my sweet Juge, you're doing great regardless of how you fit in your jeans! I can't remember hearing of a "beauty" component in our test here in mortality. If there is, I missed it and I'm in serious trouble!! I love you and all you do, sweet daughter o'mine.

Love, Dad

Rachel and Nathan Fisher said...

Julie- Nate just did an awesome sprint triathalon here in New Hampshire (It is called the "Timberman"). It is supposed to be a really good one, and it is such a beautiful area - you swim in Lake Winnepesaukee. So, I vote for you training for that and bringing your family out here for a visit next summer! I'll take you to Boston and NYC and we'll just have a blast. We'll even keep the kids overnight so that you two can have a mini-getaway! Come on, you know that you want to!!
Love you! Rachel

TaLaisa said...

Julie, the triathlon running distance is at minimum 3.1 miles (for all the Utah 'sprint' triathlons I've found) and the distance goes up from there. That's 5k. It isn't as bad as it seems. And at first you do have to mix it up, but you'll get to running the whole thing in no time. I have some great running mixes on my mp3, I'll share.

Unless your gym is hiring totally awesome trainers, I wouldn't put much hope on one of them knowing how to train you for a tri. Unless by chance one of them has participated in one. Lester has his masters in Exercise Phys. He attempted to get a job at Golds and they told him he was way over qualified with schooling and work experience.

I on the other hand worked out at the gym for 6 months straight (5 days a week) and was approached to work as a trainer. I was flattered but being an effective trainer is much more than knowing how to use the machines. That's all the trainers at Gold's were really trained to do, and then they'd mix'n'match machines and free weights and call them a workout.

I'll ask my aunt about a good tri training program.

Liz Welker said...

If you don't call me to come watch those kids so you can get groceries and what not I am going to kick your butt!! Seriously! Come let us babysit, I mean it! Also, plan on me and Adam coming to watch the kids when you guys head to London in 2012, we are there! You are freaking amazing and I know you still look like such a babe so just get over it! :) Love you!

PS...Our kitty's name is pronounced Sessy, oh and she is cute!

Lori Wilson said...

I love you Juge! You're an inspiration even as you tell us all the things you think you're doing wrong! Believe me, the day-to-day grind of motherhood is not easy or pretty -- just keep it up!

As to Dad's comment about abused kids not fighting -- I'm happy to report that my kids fight enough to prove that they've never been abused a day in their lives!!

You're a super-motivated WonderWoman and I love ya!

Monica said...

Hey crazy girl, Cannon is HOW OLD and you're worried about getting into your normal sized jeans? Don't be so hard on your skinny self because I am sure you look better then you think you do!

I think you think you don't like running. Try running and you will fall in love! I always thought I hated it and it was hard and annoying and then I started training and I fell in love. I hurt my knee and haven't been able to run consistantly all summer and it totally has bummed me out. Once you start running and fall in love, and trust me you will, you won't ever want to stop! There's something about running that once you start, you become a runner!

My boys are IN LOVE with gymnastics too! If we lived closer to the gymnastics gym then we would definitely be adding the second class but it is so far and I need Chris to watch Lydia and Ethan during Jared's class that once a week is all we can handle right now. Maybe someday we will live closer and can do multiple days a week.

I think you are doing amazing for having just had #4 in so short a time. I was really hard on myself after Lydia was born but then I needed to step back and look at all I was doing and had accomplished in 3.25 yrs as in 3 little kids! Try not to be too hard on youself and step back and look at all you do do! Thank you cards are OK to let go. I think thank you emails are a lot easier and acceptable too! Love and miss you tons! Hey, if you want to take a family vacation sometime out east you guys are ALWAYS welcome to visit NC and see us!

Christie said...

HEY Juge,
Just buy the in between jeans and look in the mirror and say I have 4 kids, I look great!!!! And as for the tornado of a house, hey at least the kids are using the house and toys. I seriously feel a little sad when I see houses and theres never a mess. Do the kids just sit?!!!! Next Call Chrystal and have her come over and relieve you once in a while, if only for an hour. It is good for her to feel needed and to serve others. If she is free I know she would love to come Play for a minute. Love ya!!!! NExt time I'm in Logan I'll call ahead of time and lets take the kids to Micky D's cuz unlike you, my kids had every toy from there. It was my sanity. Oh well they are somewhat normal now!!!! I love you and love that you are SOOOO honest!!! Take care Aunt Chris

Amanda D said...

So much to comment on this post! I have decided to stop reading other blogs until I have posted on my own. Sometimes it means that I don't get to others until their posts are a few days old but I am okay with that.

Happy anniversary! Six years is great. I hope you get a chance to get away with just you and your hubby soon!

My husband does triathlons. He loves them. He did the Salem Spring Tri a couple times while we were in Utah and loved it. It was an open water swim though. He did one in American Fork that was good too. You can do it! Keep us posted on your progress.

I think it's great that your kids are in gymnastics and school. A schedule with things to do makes a world of difference! I'm hoping to get my youngest in a gymnastics class too but it looks like we're going to have to wait awhile.

Never A True Aggie said...

I love preschool. I know there are people who don't do it, but my kids have loved it and I love the time away. I have to admit.

I also love that you went to ShopKo and DI on your anniversary. Sounds like us.

Greg and Wendy said...

Oh, my baby girl! You are amazing and I just love your honesty! No wonder your site is a favorite. Everyone identifies with you! All these things you describe are so normal and all you can do is just take one day at a time...some are better than others certainly, but I think it is such a blessing that a loving Heavenly Father helps out and allows a really GOOD day to be thrown in the mix just when you think you're going to lose it! Our thanks to Stanton for coming home and relieving you for awhile. A little time away from the fray helps your perspective to return! You are doing a great job and Dad and I are so proud of you!
We love you and Stanton. You have packed an amazing amount of accomplishments in just 6 years... your best accomplishments being Chloe, Lily, Brigham and Cannon!!!! Love you bunches, honey!

The Florida Roses said...

OH Julie you are AMAZING! I don't get HALF of the stuff done that you do! You are used to achieving so much and so now when things are so new with Cannon and you aren't able to do everything I'm sure it gets frustrating but remember to everything there is a season and right now might be the time to have a dirty house, dirty kids, and DI dates :)

I have loved doing the triathlons and if it weren't for all my friends that I do them with I don't think I could stay as motivated...so find a support group. I agree with your friend to start running and shoot for a 5k first because I too HATED running until I got into the groove. That is the hardest part of the triathlon for me. We are doing one on Saturday that is a relay triathlon. So I am swimming, my friend is biking and Matt is running. Maybe you could find a team and do that first. Our swims are in lakes and the last one I did was in the ocean which was WAY fun...on the way back in the waves were pushing me in! :) Don't get me started on triathlons...I could go on for days! I will find the website my friends have used to start training!

Unknown said...

Thanks Julie! You have given me the motivation I need to get my rear end off the couch and get back into my jeans too! I was training for a 10k when I found out I was expecting Bryce. And then I gained way to much weight and have a long way to get back to where I was! Too bad we don't live closer. We could do it together :)

Sara said...

if you feel behind, i feel even behindER. i just made up that word :)

seriously -- you are NORMAL! actually better than normal cuz you just had a baby, look amazing, and ARE amazing.

i pretty much say "ditto" to everyone's comments above.

I loved reading this post!