26 August 2008

Is 4 1/2 the Magic Age?

Chloe is turning some sort of corner lately. Far fewer temper tantrums. Much more obedience. An incredible interest in the scriptures. And helpful. Very, very helpful. Yes, I'm bragging. But wow, I didn't know it could be this good.

Tonight after scriptures:
Me: Okay girls, I want you to go get in your beds and I'll tuck you in after I get Brigham to bed.
Chloe: Okay, Mom, I'll be obedient.
Me: Thank you.
Chloe: I like feeling the Holy Ghost. I feel good when I do what you ask.
And she was in bed when I got down there.

And on the lighter side...
While watching a Wendy's commercial today:
Chloe: Mom, look, it's Wendy. I think she must be Old McDonald's sister.
My kids call McDonald's "Old McDonald's"

Lily is still deep into the 3s. That's the tough age around our house. BUT, we moved her into Chloe's room this weekend and ta dah! she's going to bed without protest. And she's not scared of the "darkness" in her room anymore.

12 comments:

Angie said...

How wonderful to know that there might be an end in sight to the tantrums and protests... only 7 more months to go for Ethan (YIPEE).

Seriously, that is great to hear. I hope it continues as it would make your life of a "Mom with a newborn and 2 year old (and 3 and 4)" much much easier!

TaLaisa said...

I really really REALLY hope 4.5 is the magic age, Caleb is so defiant lately. That'd be the 4th of next month, I could live with it until then.

Gabe used to think that McDonald's was owned by someone in the ward, he called it Brother McDonald's and Sister Wendy's. Who knew he was listening when we joked that dinner (after Caleb was born) was brought in by Brother McDonald, Sister Wendy and Brother Sanders (KFC)?

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! I am hoping 3 is the magic age here. *shrug* I am not counting too hard on that though. So, I was wondering how do you manage scripture study with everyone 4 1/2 and younger? I can't get Emma to sit to read a 9 page book with two lines on every other page. Any advice?

Greg and Wendy said...

We wish we could give Chloe a love right this minute! It is these little moments of reward that keep you "in the scriptures" with your kids. Hang on to these moments and there will be more, we promise!
Fun to see that Chloe and Lily are old enough now to sleep in the same bedroom. Are you going to move Brigham into Lily's old room anytime soon?
We'll see you tomorrow night for Brig's birthday! Can't wait!!!!

Never A True Aggie said...

I love 4. Love it, love it. We are almost there with Liam (1 month to go) and already I can tell the difference. There is just a little less angst going on, I can't really explain it. 3 was the pits. 2 was slightly better then three. I find the years between 18 months and three 1/2 to be the most trying. Luckily, 4,5, & 6 make up for it. It just gets better. Who would have thought?

My kids sing the McDonald's theme song...buh, buh, buh, buh, buh...I'm loving it. The worse was we wear watching this show called Clean House and they had carpets done my Empire Carpets. My kids suddenly pipped in with the theme song and phone number. Maybe we need to get out more.

Janelle said...

Yes 4 is the magic age! I have a post about this from 2 years ago when I noticed the change too. Elizabeth all of a sudden was wonderful - and still is. Hooray for 4 year olds.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I guess I'll hold out hope for my youngest (he's 4 years & 3 months)...he's still stuck in the terrible threes attitude!

Anonymous said...

Chloe sounds like a sweetheart. And hurray for Lily going to bed without protest! That's what I need to work on with my 3 year old. Unfortunately, moving her into a bedroom with a sibling is not a solution as she already shares a bedroom with two! Sigh.

Jocelyn said...

Like a lot of you have said, I think the "and 1/2" is the magic part. Chloe turned 4 in February, but it's been only this last few weeks that we've seen the change happening. So hold out strong!!! The dawn might break soon! Yes, that's an obvious Twilight reference....sorry.

Cheryl said...

4 was always the magical number for me, and 5 was kind of sassy; perhaps she's just getting sweet and wonderful early? That's good!

I just keep thinking that before long, we'll be wishing for their tantrums and fits at 3 because at 15 it's gonna be pretty tough, you know? Yes, you know. Sigh.

Btw, I miss you. Where are you? Oh, yeah. You had a baby. A cute one, at that. I guess that's a good excuse. :)

Okay, 6 more posts of yours to read!

Monica said...

I have heard that 4 1/2 is a magical time and I am anxiously awaiting it. Ethan is 5 months away from there and I am EXCITED!! I see him changing though and see that he is calming more and being more obedient. My boys share a room and it is great for them. Is Cannon in your room right now? Will your two boys share a room eventually?

Lori Wilson said...

Super cute kids, Juge! That's all I have to say about that.