19 May 2008

Monopoly Money

We received our Economic Stimulus check in the mail today. Frankly, it's laughable to think our congress decided they could stimulate the economy by printing extra money and sending it to us to spend. It just doesn't add up in my mind. Nevertheless, we received ours today and it was kind of fun to see a few hundred bucks I'd done nothing to earn -- this must be what gambling feels like...
Our Bishop had some great counsel regarding the funds and Stanton and I feel inspired to follow it. So, we're using our Monopoly Money to beef up our food storage. We need to focus on canned meats, canned vegetables, and longer term items like rice, wheat, and beans. I think we'll be able to make some serious progress with funds we received.
What are you doing with your Monopoly Money?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

We're hoping to move with that money....if we find a job. Clint's interviewing tomorrow, please keep your fingers crossed.

Jocelyn said...

Good Luck!!!

bythelbs said...

Food storage is a great idea. I've been trying to stock up on flour and rice, but we still need so many things!

Do you do the cannery at all? I never have before, but a friend of mine said she went for the first time last week and loved it.

Janelle said...

Food storage, what a good idea. I'm already cleaning out closets and cupboard space to make room for food storage so that would work great for that money. The stinky part about living in CA is no basement. It is really hard to figure out where to store food safely.

Oh and the cannery is super fun.

TaLaisa said...

The boys and I are putting 'our' portion toward Disneyland. Lester is going to visit a cousin in Reno who was able to go to the family reunion in Fiji.

Never A True Aggie said...

We are paying our taxes with it, so they are getting their money back! It is depressing. Actually, I was thinking that they should have used the money for some Works Projects like in the 40's. We could use the employment out here and there is a lot of people that could use the jobs. Jobs = Money = Our House does not go into forclosure = the Bank stays in good shape = other people don't have thier loans and rates go up = better economy. I don't think a flat screen TV would solve the problem like a job would. Food Storage is a good idea. Disneyland sounds fun too. I will cross my fingers and say a prayer for Jill.

Jocelyn said...

Bythelbs - I love the cannery. It is a lot of fun. If you don't have a cannery close by (or if you do), you can order your staples from Distribution and they ship them for free! And they're already canned.

TaLaisa - Disneyland?! Sounds so fun!

Janelle - When we bought our home in Utah, we had one requirement -- BASEMENT!!! After living in Ohio & NY, where we had the same dilemma you face, we knew we absolutely had to have a basement. And I love my cold storage room!

NATA - Man, I feel you on this one. We payed so stinking much in taxes this year I couldn't believe it. In fact, getting a stimulus check came as quite a surprise. I guess that's a plus of having a lot of kids. :) I guess that's why I'm so interested in what everyone else is doing with theirs - because I hadn't planned on one. Anyway, I agree that money could have been spent in better ways. Still, though, I am untrusting of most government run programs. My thought is, give some business owners a bigger tax break so they have the money to hire more employees. We have an extremely low unemployment rate here, but I know that's not the case in MI. It just seems like this money was sort of pulled out of thin air. And like you said, buying a flat screen is not going to solve any of the problems we're facing in our economy right now...

Christine Williams said...

We're doing the same exact thing with our money. Although, I think we are deciding to hold off a month to purchase large amounts of anything with the move and all, but we're right there with ya. And I have to say - I so wish I could write like you do. It is so fun to read the way you express your thoughts! I can just see you in my head having a conversation with yourself! :) I'm all over the "actions" department, but sorely lacking in writing skills. Anyway - so entertaining!