13 May 2008

The Big Vacation Question

We're planning a mini-vacation over the Memorial Day weekend. We are having a hard time deciding just what we are up for, all the kids and us. These are the ideas we have so far:

1) Martin's Cove in Wyoming. It's a 7 hour drive from us and offers neat trails to walk (this may or may not be a great thing) and a Museum of the Trails in Casper. Hotels are sparse, but available. Camping is also available.
2) Salt Lake City. This is a 1 1/2 hour drive from us. We could visit the Children's Museum and Hogle Zoo. There's also Temple Square. There are lots and lots of hotels with swimming pools galore. The down side of this is that we go to Salt Lake City fairly often, albeit not for these particular attractions. That is not a problem for the kids, of course, but I was selfishly hoping we might get a little further on this vacation than SLC.
3) Camping somewhere. This is always so nice, although we haven't camped with our kids yet. Problem might be this: can we even find a campground that isn't completely full for Memorial Day already?

Now, here's The Big Vacation Question: If you were us and you had 3 children, ages 4, 3, and 20 months, what would you choose for your vacation? Tell me which of the 3 or tell me something completely different. What vacations have you done that you've loved?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Martin's Cove is awesome, and only 4 hours from me (and we'll be headed to Idaho), and I think the kids would have fun. However, the weather is unpredictable and it really is in the middle of no where. The Muddy Gap gas station (closer to Casper) sells gellato. Salt Lake is also lots of fun with things to do and hotels with soft beds, showers, and flushing toilets. I'm not much help am I? It doesn't matter where you go, I'm sure you will have a blast!

flip flop mama said...

Wyoming sounds fun. I would try to get a little farther than an hour and half if you are really going on a vacation.

TaLaisa said...

Of course I wish I could truthfully say Salt Lake all the way. Because then, we'd have to come crash your visit at the Children's Museum and holy heck that'd be fun. You could also do Thanksgiving Point. I know 'people' at the farm country, we could score free popcorn and extra pony rides.

But I'd vote for camping, if you can find a campsite that isn't totally booked. My boys love camping and we have a trailer and fishing poles. It would be a done deal for us, given the choices.

I would love to go to St. George for Memorial Day, but I would totally be out voted.

Never A True Aggie said...

I read your post before bed and it was on my thoughts as I fell asleep. That is the problem when you are blogging until midnight. Hmmm. 7 hours seems pretty long for young ones. My kids barely make it 4 hours. When we lived there, we went to a cabin somewhere near Camus (I think)? It was fun. Vernal has the whole dinosaur thing going for it, which the kids would really like. You can camp around there or get a hotel in town. Now that it is off season, some of the resorts have deals on their hotels. Check out Snowbird. There was one we stayed at near Snowbird, but now I can't think of it. We were able to get a suite with a kitchenette. We could hike all over the property where the ski runs are. They were nice easy hikes, but good views. Salt Lake can be fun. There is a hotel downtown that I can't think of right now. It is kind of retro ish, off State street near 3rd South. I love, love, love Bryce Canyon. If you are going to go a long way, I would go there instead of Wyoming (blah!). Anyway, hope you have fun.

Monica said...

That is a tough one. I would say no to WY because it's a 7 hr drive with 3 little kids and you being as far along in your prego state. SLC would probably be my choice but I am sure you've been a lot since it isn't that far. Camping with little kids, we have done it, even when Jared was a little baby not even sitting up fully yet and it was still a lot of fun but it will be crowded for sure. So, I guess I am saying SLC.

Cheryl said...

Yellowstone will be crazy busy, but it could be fun (and it's way closer) --maybe you could just go for a hike one day? Yeah, I'm boring (which is so unlike me), so let me give it some thought...

jon and kir said...

I would say Martin's cove!! I have never been but I heard it's neat. The big Vaca., I say go to a beach. We go to Amelia Island in Florida every year- very fun and not to tourist-y. Lot's of great resorts with tons of kids stuff to do. Check out the Ritz on Amelia Island.