I had to spell check that word about 5 times. Even though it looks wrong to me, the almighty spell checker claims I have spelled it correctly.
This post is not about spelling, although I am a fanatic about proper spelling, grammar, and comma use. No, this post is about American Idol. Or The Final 3 was Bor-Ing. I wouldn't even post about it, except that I received so many fan emails and phone calls begging me to blog about it after my absence last week. Yes, by so many I mean 1. That's enough for my ego!
Enough about me (for now), on to the performances:
Archuletta:
Song 1: Okay, I did love his first song, but how can you not love Billy Joel songs? This is one of my favorite Billy Joel songs. Do you remember when Carmen Rasmussen sang it in Season 2? I wanted so much to like it because she was Mormon, but thinking back, it really was awful. Not so with Archuletta. He did a fantastic job. He didn't overdo the runs and his voice is so so pure. Ivory Soap 99.4% Pure pure. Good song choice, Paula. Oh, and I was so embarrassed for Mayor Mustache. Wow, that's one heck of a long-horn.
Song 2: My Boo? Yikes. Archie is waaay too white for that phrase (I do call my kids Boo a lot, but I wear bronzer). Whiteness aside, it was nice to hear a song from this decade. Not my favorite style of song (who is Chris Brown), but okay. Okay, I'll be honest...I thought it was a yawner.
Song 3: I can't even remember the name of the song he did. I remember his voice was like butter, though. But once again, boring and forgettable but so so pure and perfectly on pitch.
Syesha:
Song 1: Alicia Keys? I don't know if Syesha should be singing Alicia Keys. I think AK is so beautiful and talented, but she is totally unique in her styling and music. She's not easily covered. BUT, Syesha has a beautiful voice and really did do well with that strange song choice from Randy. Dawg, what were you thinking???
Song 2: Fever. I totally disagreed with the judges on this one. I thought this was a highlight of the night for her. She was darling, she totally worked the song and the stage, and she sounded so contemporary. I think that song is so well written -- enough that that could be a record on the radio. This was probably my favorite Syesha tonight.
Song 3: The producers failed Syesha here. She sang well, her voice was strong, but it was just a really boring song. Yes, I know it was upbeat, sassy, fast, whatever, but it was really boring for me.
Cook:
Song 1: Simon did a good job on this one. Wow. I loved that song. It was very Aerosmithy to me (and I do so love Aerosmith ballads). I find it odd that this was Aerosmithy to me (I think I'll try to find a way to incorporate Aerosmithy into my vocabulary -- it's a fun word), considering the 3rd song of Cook's, but I'll get to that in a minute. Song 1 was a winner.
Song 2: Hated it. The guitar was awful, he was pitchy, and he looks so ridiculous when he opens his mouth to hit the high notes. I have a hard time watching him sing.
Song 3: One of the best ballads EVER. I was really looking forward to Cook singing this song - I thought he would have a total homerun with it. But he totally struck out with me. Yuck yuck yuck. I thought it was a very boring interpretation and that end note was so out of tune!
Cook and Archuletta won Round 1, Syesha won Round 2, and they all lost Round 3. So who wins? I don't know, by my calculations it's a 3-way tie. But if this season is anything like Season 2 (which I totally think it is), Syesha is toast tomorrow. She has progressed so much and has a legitimate right to be in the finale, but she didn't build up that crazy fan base from the start, so she's outta here. That's what happened to Kim Locke, you know. She was so good in the last several weeks, but she peaked too late to have a chance at the finale. Do you remember her New York State of Mind, though? It was on the final 3 night and was the performance of that night. Anyway, Syesha will suffer the same fate as Kim Locke. She's gone tomorrow, don't you think?
Were you as bored as I was? Do you agree with my absolutely correct assessment of the show? Ryan & Mary, you have a gmail account now, so you better comment! :)
6 comments:
Well I liked tonight! I won't go into details since my review is up. I agree about Syesha though...not enough fans to keep her in.
I recorded it and just watched it. I was entertained. I didn't love any of the performances. But I liked it enough to keep watching. Randy seemed impossible to impress tonight.
The mental image of a white mormon boy from Utah singing 'my Boo' is giving me cause to giggle even as I type this. I liked it as it was different for him. But still, 'my boo?'.
Did you see the 'Cougars for Cook' poster? That made me laugh out loud. Someone totally needs to do a 'Kittens for Archie' poster tomorrow night. They do seem to have a different audience appeal. I just never thought of it that way.
Well, you know what I think about it...but Thank You for being the only other human being alive (that I've noticed) who knew David Cook was out of TUNE! Man, that bugged...
I was bored, but of course I would never turn it off. That second song of David C's was painful to watch. I just don't care anymore about who wins, but you better believe I'll be watching til the end!
First-I love your new header. SO darling!! I was so interested in this week's Idol. I LOVED Cook's first song. LOVED it. I so love your writing about everything-especially the My Boo comment. You are too funny. I agree, he's too white for the song. (Maybe he should try bronzer!) HEHE. Though I think it was a funny choice in a lot of ways I actually liked his vocals. Talaisa's comment about cougars for cook and kittens for Archie is so funny. I think Cook will win this overall probably. I didn't see Cook's 2nd song...I'm sure you heard that Archie's pop can't be backstage anymore. It bugs me that I'm so into this.
I totally agree Autumn! I sometimes am embarrassed over how much I love this show! And by how much I will miss it when it's over. I try to watch the Jazz games just to even out my geekiness a little.
I just heard on the news last night (yes, our local Utah news considers anything Archuletta to be "news") about Archie's dad. I find it odd and am so curious about it.
You think Cook will win? After Tuesday, I am torn. For weeks I've thought Archie would take it hands down, but Cook is really coming on strong lately. It will be a fun finale, akin to the Clay and Rueben one of Season 2. I loved that year that there really was no clear cut winner -- it made the drama so much more "real." I think it will be that way again this year.
And TaLaisa is so so funny! I forgot to reply to that very funny comment! Thanks for reminding me!
Post a Comment