Cannon is so Awesome,
Cannon is so Cool,
Cannon's Gonna Graduate from Potty Training School!
We've had our ups and downs over the last 6 days and I know we're done completely done yet, but this little mister
He struggled over Friday and Saturday some and on Sunday morning I was nearing a mental breakdown, but I prayed for help and Mr. Cannon turned a corner. He made it through church without an accident and came home ready to conquer the potty. And he woke up dry this morning! For me, that's always a sign that they're nearing potty training completion. I am so excited for Cannon and, frankly, for myself, too. No more diapers!!!!!!! I don't hate diapers, but I am loving not having to buy them, change them, smell them, all of it! It will be a great summer not having to remember swim diapers. I'm so happy!
Some highlights and lowlights of the past week of potty training:
*Day One he had a minimum of 8 accidents and just as I was considering turning back, my friend Stacy gave me that Lightning McQueen potty chair there -- it made it so Cannon could just sit on the potty and watch a movie till he went. It really helped him make the connection that, OH!, my potty is supposed to go in the bowl! Oh!!!
Stacy saved my sanity that day.
*By the end of Day One, he actually told me twice that he needed to go potty - once when he was playing outside. It was enough motivation for me to keep going on Day Two.
*Days 2 and 3 (Wednesday and Thursday) were decent. A few accidents, but mostly success, although he still had to sit on the potty chair for most of the day.
*Day Four was not as great, but he and I were both happily distracted by our great visit from Kyle and Angie's family. He wasn't awful, but he did have a few accidents.
*Day 5 (Saturday) was good and bad. He made it through a movie at the theatre (Kung Fu Panda 2...AWESOME) without an accident, but he had more than a few because he was playing outside and didn't stop to potty.
*Day 6 (Sunday), Sunday morning I was a MESS. Cannon started the morning by wetting his pants and I was stressing hugely about church. I didn't want to put him in a pull-up and send him a mixed signal, but staying home wasn't an option, as I had been asked to sing in Relief Society and Stanton has duties during the meetings. I was a wreck, and by the time Stanton got home from his meetings, I was pretty much in tears. I went and prayed for strength and when I came out, Cannon said, "Oh, I needoo got potty!!!" I ran him to the big toilet, and he pottied right away. He was SOOOO excited and I was too!
We made it through Sacrament Meeting and I took him to the bathroom before Nursery. He didn't go, so I took him into Nursery and told his teachers that he was potty training and that I would be back in a half hour to take him to the bathroom. They looked at me with fear in their eyes and I walked out of the room. Aren't I a great mom?! I came back in an hour (again, great mom, I know!) and he hadn't had an accident. I took him to the bathroom and he went right away. YES!
The rest of the day was fantastic. He told us when he needed to go and was accident free all evening.
*Day 7 (today) -- he woke up dry! So far, so good.
*I've used more Nature's Miracle Odor Neutralizer on Cannon's potty messes than Charlie's.
*The potty chair Stacy gave me leaks like crazy. I don't know if it's the chubbiness of Cannon's bum or what, but it does NOT contain his urine. Not. At. All.
I grinned and bore it the first few days and just cleaned up the messes it left behind because at least he was sitting on the potty and going, but when he got back on this morning and the potty went pretty much EVERYWHERE but the bowl, I made an executive decision and got rid of the chair. He'll be using the toilet from here on out.
*He's eaten more fruit snacks over the last seven days than he has in his entire life combined.
*Did I mention the poopy underwear? Hopefully that one's over, too. It seems to be.
Here are a few of my Facebook status updates of the Potty Training variety:
My phone did survive, thank goodness. And so did the recliner. And the floor. And my sanity. I'm a terrible potty trainer, just ask Chloe. But, I seem to gain a little more patience with every child and little Cannon only got one melt down from his mother. And a spank to go with it. He hasn't been spanked really at all in his little life (again, Dear Chloe, I AM SORRY!!!!!!!!!! I was a horrible mother to you in your preschool years. I'm so sorry and I'm trying every day to make up for it) and so it really shocked him. But that was Sunday morning (how's that for keeping the Sabbath Day holy?) and I think it actually might have helped him get back into the right mindset (ie: I need to come inside and potty instead of wetting my pants on the trampoline). Anyway, I'm really bad at potty training, but I think I did okay with Cannon. And seriously, I'm pretty impressed that he's picked it up so well in just a week. What a great boy.
Cannon is so awesome,
Cannon is so cool,
Cannon's gonna graduate from potty training school!
OH YEAH!
5 comments:
I needed to read this to get encouraged about potty training Ainsley. We're going to start her as soon as we get back from vacation in late June. I'm SO NERVOUS because the other attempts just failed (and i partly gave up because potty training an unwilling participant while managing a baby? nightmare). I need to just suck it up but I'm SCARED!!
Oh, potty training. Sigh. Another one of those thing I had blocked out.....seriously, I might not make it through this last baby.
Hooray for Cannon! Maybe he'll come teach Christian how it's done....
Oh wow! Kill me now cause I never want to have to potty train drake! That's great that he got it down so quick! Yay cannon!!!
I can't believe I didn't ask you about this again after you told me you were working on it with him. I'm so sorry! You can tell how distracted I have been (needfully and wouldn't have it any other way!)However, I wish I were a little less lame-brained at such times! Let me know how things continue to go. We are so proud of you AND Cannon!!!!
Post a Comment