Wow...what a month December 2010 was. There were moments when I thought I'd have to be committed to a mental institution...really. But we made it through and it ended up being so great.
Just a brief glace at the calendar for record-keeping's sake....
Doesn't look like much, I guess, but it felt like much. I had several parties at my house, which was so fun and so much work. I truly appreciated having Heather come clean -- it relieved a lot of stress to not have to worry about bathrooms, etc. in the midst of the chaos.
I really like having parties at my house, I've decided. I don't usually have them because I think they're going to be a lot of work, but the payoff is amazing. I don't do anything really as far as decorations go (except just normal Christmas decorations, of course) so that takes some of the stress away. Just having family and friends in my home makes my soul happy. Christmas Eve was a treasure for me -- having my parents, Stanton's parents, and two of his siblings here was something I'll never forget. It was joyous.
Anyway, December was insane. We had so much regular life going on (the kids didn't get out of school until 2 days before Christmas) on top of the Christmas parties, etc. It was overwhelming at times, but it ended up being a really special month.
A few events I want to remember, but didn't get pictures of:
After-temple Ice Cream Social (December 10th). Craig Day called and asked me if we'd like to host the social at our house this month and even though I knew it was going to be a busy week and month, I had to say yes. And I'm really glad I did. We had about 20 couples at the house and there was a real feeling of friendship and closeness that was so enjoyable. We moved the couches around, set up a ton of chairs, and everyone else brought the toppings. It was delicious! Again, having people in my home really made me happy. It's cozy and just fun. We are surrounded by amazing people. I hope to host another get-together like this soon.
Our ward party (December 14th). My dear friend Shaynna was in charge of the event and I got to help her plan it, decorate for it, and cook for it. It was busy and fun. I really enjoy spending time with my girlfriends and it was nice to see how happy it makes our ward family to be together for parties like that. There was a great spirit there and a lot of excitement over the visit from Santa Claus! The girls were thrilled (Stanton took the boys home early because they were tired and crazy). Shaynna put a ton of effort into the party and it was a success. I love our ward so much. I don't know that I could ever leave this neighborhood. I love it.
Dental Alliance Christmas Dinner (December 15th). We have pretty much monthly dinner meetings with the dentists in the Valley. It's a neat group of people. I love getting to know the other folks in Stanton's profession and love that even though they're in competition with one another in theory, there's a true sense of camaraderie and concern for the dental health of the people in our area. It's a neat group and the Christmas party is always really nice.
Dave & Erica Low's Christmas Party (December 17th). This was a formal event at the Riverwoods here in town. Dave and Erica were awesome hosts and the food was great. What was super neat, though, was just the company. Dave and Erica have collected some great friends and it was a treat to get to know so many of them. We had a White Elephant gift exchange (with some super gifts, my favorite being the leopard print Snuggie we stole from someone). They had a reading of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas with a twist. Each of the men in attendance was given a part to read, along with a voice they were to read it in. For example, Stanton was given one stanza of the poem to read in the vocal stylings of Mr. T. There was also a Spaniard, romantic, chicken, nerd, Barack Obama, etc. It was really fun. Before he shared his Christmas message (along with fantastic singing from another of the guests), Dave went around the room and said something about each person in attendance. What could have been something really corny ended up being just awesome. It brought a spirit of friendship into the room that was just cool. Dave is a great guy and we learned a lot from him from that experience. Also, Erica is a dear friend that I don't spend nearly enough time with. I admire her so much. 2010 has been a pretty rough year for her, but she's handled it with so much grace. I just love her. AND....she made her gown the day of the party....Rock Star. Anyway, this is an event I will look forward to every year. So great.
Allen Family Christmas Party (December 18th). This party is so much fun. It also happens to conflict with our Park Valley Rose Family Christmas Party every year and we've had to forgo that one (as it is extended family) for this one (as it is immediate family). I miss the PV party a lot and wish we could be in two places at once.
Anyway, we had such a great time at the Allen's this year. I love my in-laws...all of them. What an incredible bunch of people.
We didn't even take our cameras to the party -- darn. It was a lot of fun. We ate pasta from Firehouse, along with other great food and a chocolate fountain (hello chocolate covered cinnamon bears). We had an impromptu talent show where Chloe did a front handspring, Lily sang "All the Animals Down in Texas" and Brig and Cannon sang Jingle Bells. The other cousins sang songs, read books, danced, and made us smile. After the program, we watched our Christmas Movies. We did The Friendly Beasts, Em's family and Jim's family did Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Ann's family did Mr. Finnegan's Giving Chest. We're still waiting for Julie's family, but they get a tardy pass since they're in Singapore this Christmas. I LOVE this movie tradition. The kids so enjoy seeing themselves on TV and it's amazing to mark the passing of time in such a way. I love our videos we've made. They're a treasure.
After movies, we went upstairs and opened presents. We haven't done a cousin exchange yet, but we do a sibling/couples exchange, which is fun. Julie and Scott got us a Nativity set from Singapore (it hasn't arrived yet, but I'm so excited!). We got Jim & Rachel a Blu-Ray player. I love looking for those perfect gifts.
The kids all opened their presents from Dave and Judy, too. Chloe got a new camera (a real one, digital and everything), Lily got a Toy Story Jessie doll, Brigham got Lincoln Logs, and Cannon got a Karate Chopping Buzz Lightyear, along with a Buzz Lightyear cartoon. They were all so excited.
We got Dave & Judy (all 5 kids & spouses) a new Bosch, as well as a pocket-size projector for Dave. It attaches to your iPod or computer and projects a great image on the screen. Dave & Judy were nice and went in with us on both gifts. They seemed excited about the things we got them. Oh, and Jimmy made them their annual calendar with pics of each family. Love that.
Always such a fun party and it's just awesome to see everyone getting older. The cousins play so well and everyone loves being with one another. We are so blessed.
Sacrament Meeting Christmas Program (December 19th). Part of my calling as Ward Choir Director is to put together a Christmas Program for the Sunday before Christmas. It's a huge undertaking, at least for me. I feel a huge responsibility on my shoulders with it. You hope it's filled with the Spirit, things the children will enjoy, good music, not too long, insightful narration, not too flashy, doctrinally sound, etc, etc, etc.... It's an emotional stress for me. I found it even more difficult this year for whatever reason. As soon as it was over, I felt an enormous burden lifted from my shoulders. And, I loved how it turned out. We had angels singing with us, I swear. And the narrators were perfect and the words really ended up coming together in the right way. I really really really appreciate the choir members who come every week, put up with my lack of musical knowledge, and my hyper-active tendencies when I'm nervous. They make it happen and I love them. And since I'm almost certain my mom will ask me for a copy of the program, here's a link.
Keeping Christmas in Our Liveshttp://allenfamilyupdate.blogspot.com/2010/12/keeping-christmas-in-our-lives-2010.html
Tithing Settlement (December 19th). Just love our Bishop and any chance we get to meet with him. He's a great man and loves our children. I appreciate him very much.
Lily's Kindergarten Christmas Program (December 21st). Pretty much a repeat of last year's with Chloe and a preview of next year's with Brigham, but darling all the same. The boys were way hyper and a little naughty during the program, so I missed some of Lil's songs. The ones I saw, though, were awesome. Lily is so animated and music is definitely her thing. She's a talented little person. Love her.
Tangled with the kids (December 23rd). Stanton had Thursday thru Sunday off work, so we took the kids to the matinee on Thursday. It was a treat!!! The kids LOVED the show and I have to admit that Stanton and I loved it just as much. It was great to have a little outing as a family.
I think I have pictures of everything else, so they'll get their own updates.
So much December and so much happiness.

3 comments:
You sure did have a lot on your calendar! Wow! As crazy as they are, busy Decembers are SOOOO fun!
I feel so honored by what you wrote about our party and me. Thank you very much. We were so glad to have you, and grateful to have such inspiring friends as you and Stanton.
Love the blog burst. Wish I could pull my act together and do that!
I love looking back on a month and seeing all that has happened. This might be my new blog goal for each month to give my blog book a new twist.
Your month does look crazy! I can't imagine being that busy...we tend to not do much. We took the kids to see Tangled too and I LOVED it. I thought it was the best kids movie in a long time.
Post a Comment