13 December 2010

ABC Pediatric Dentistry Christmas Party

We went back to our roots this year and invited everyone to our home for our Christmas party.  The past few years we've done it at either a restaurant or a play.  I felt this year like I could handle it at home again and I really wanted our (Stanton's) employees to be in our home.  Don't you think there's something special about being in someone's home?  I do.  I love the family feeling and the intimacy of a home.

Anyway, we invited everyone to our home and I did the food.  Now, a few years ago when we did this the last time, I was a slacker and waited until the day of the party to prepare everything.  Yikes!  I learned my lesson and this year I made a schedule for myself.  Each day from Monday to Thursday, I prepared different parts of the meal.  On Monday I was a stress case.  By Thursday, I was feeling pretty good.  Things were still crazy for the couple of hours before the party, but I don't think there's any way to avoid that, no matter how you prepare.  Shout out to my amazing Kiki who came early and helped us get last minute things done, then tended the kids downstairs during the party -- including putting them to bed.  She's the absolute best.  Love that girl.

I want to remember the menu, so indulge me, please.


ABC Pediatric Dentistry
Christmas Party Menu

Appetizers:
Vegetable Tray
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies
Club Crackers with Hot Artichoke Dip
Shrimp Tray w/ Homemade Cocktail Sauce
Fruit Tray

Main Course:
Roast Beef with Carmelized Shallots & Mushrooms
Smoked Turkey Breast
Twice Baked Potatoes
Green Beans with Almonds
Salad with Cranberries and Almonds
Lion House Rolls

Dessert:
Chocolate Cookies
Rice Krispies Treats
Mint Chocolate Brownies
Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake
 
The food all turned out well.  The roast was not my highlight (someday that cattelman's daughter's blood is going to kick in and I'm going to cook a decent roast), but really, all the food was pretty darn tasty.  I didn't take many pictures due to the rush the last couple of hours, but here are the 3 I did manage to take.

Here are the employees and significant others who were there:
Every one of them is awesome.  We were missing Ilse & her husband, Ashley & Collin.  April & her husband had to leave early.

We had a white elephant gift exchange and it was the best one I've ever participated in.  Holy cow there were some hilarious gifts.  Some favorites were suppositories and a rubber glove, live goldfish, half-eaten chocolates, a used chapstick that had a $5 bill wrapped around the inside of the stick, a Team Jacob poster, and potted meat and Immodium AD.  We laughed.  A lot, as you can imagine.  It was awesome.


The night was so fun.  Stanton's staff is amazing.  We are really blessed to have each one of them working at the office.  The staff is such a huge component of the image of a dental practice and these girls just make ABC amazing.  Love 'em!

I felt like, as everyone left, the party was a success.  I hope they don't mind doing it at our house again.  They probably wouldn't dare say no, even though I would welcome their honesty.  Ha ha.  I have them cornered.  :)

This week was a really busy one.  On Wednesday night I hosted Card Club at my house, on Thursday  we had the office party at our house, on Friday we had our ward after-temple ice cream social at our home, and on Saturday we went to Blackfoot for my family party.  On top of that, I volunteered in Chloe's class, helped my friend with the program for our ward party, and wrote the Sacrament Meeting Christmas program for next Sunday, wrapped extended family presents, and made a little sense of the presents that have been arriving daily from the UPS, USPS, and FedEx drivers.  I think the biggest relief of stress came once that Sacrament Meeting program was written and approved.  Huge burden off my shoulders.
I love this time of year even though the busyness sometimes gets me a little frazzled.  This week we have our ward party on Tuesday, the First District Dental party on Wednesday, a formal Christmas party hosted by our friends the Lows on Friday, Stanton's family party on Saturday, and the Sacrament Meeting program on Sunday.  I think things will slow down a little after that.  Maybe.  But I'll be bummed when it does - almost certainly.

6 comments:

Angie said...

Holy cow Lady.... slow down!! It looks like your party was a huge success and the menu sounded amazing!! Way to go on putting it all together.

I had to laugh at your comment about all the things arriving from the UPS, USPS, and FedEx. That is my goal today... to go through all the boxes, figure out what's come and what I'm still waiting for and then wrap them. I really have enjoyed the online shopping this year. I think it might become a habit! ugh oh...that could be bad.

Anonymous said...

I am a total online shopping addict. I've done it that way for the last few Christmases, and sometimes I actually do it for places like Old Navy and TCP just because I don't want to drag 3 kids into the store. It's worth the 5 buck shipping to me! The party looks so fun and the menu divine--I'm totally impressed! How fun to have a FORMAL Christmas party to attend!! I would LOVE that! I would love to throw a formal New Year's Eve party one year....
Enjoy your week of awesomeness ~ we have a few things here and there, anniversary included (how did our parents not kill us for getting married a week before Christmas???) This is such a great time of the year! I wish it would slow down!

Amanda D said...

I'm in total awe of you! That week sounds crazy. But you sound happy. I love it!

It looks like the party was a great success. Great menu, great guests and fun gifts. Well done!

Lindsay said...

I'm totally agreeing with you. I feel so frazzled as well! It's like I want to enjoy every little part of Christmas but there is just SO MUCH going on- all fun things, but lots to do none the less. You are amazing doing all that for the party! Wow! Wish I'd been there to try all that delicious food!

Unknown said...

It looks like it was totally fun. Thanks for all the white elephant ideas. We're going to a party tomorrow, and Clint is totally thrilled to take a goldfish. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

This post made me hungry. (The food part, not the people part.)