27 December 2010

Conversations

Brigham joining in our conversation about our Thanksgiving plans:  We're gonna eat a turkey, then we're gonna meet some Indians, and they're gonna teach us how to plant corn.

Watching the Tonight Show...Brian "The Beard" Wilson happened to be appearing...
Stanton:  Brian "The Beard?"  Who is he?
Me:  He's the pitcher for the Giants.  They won the World Series.
Stanton:  The World Series?  That's.......baseball, right?
Me:  Hahahahahahaha!  Can I put that on the blog?
Stanton: NO!
Me:  Please?
Stanton: No.
Me:  Please?
Stanton: Oh, fine.  I was just having a brain *cramp.

Lily:  Mom, when Jesus comes again, will Dr. Seuss come back alive?

Brigham:  The sun is a star that gets in our eyes.

Cannon while driving to an errand:  Mom, Lily and Bigham are at c-c-c-c-oo....
Mom, Lily and Bigham are at sc-c-c-c-sc-sg-g
Mom, Lily and Bigham are ats g-g-schgo-goo-g
Frustrated Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!  Deep breath.
Lily and Brigham are at school.

Brigham:  Mom, squirrels sleep like us, right?
Me:  Yeah.
Brigham:  Except them use their tails for blankets.
He claims he learned this from the Cat in the Hat?

Brigham:  Why did the sandwich cross the road?
Me: Why?
Brigham:  Because it needed to get peanut butter and jelly on it.
Me:  Laughing sincerely because it was actually a funny joke.
Brigham:  Will you put that on your phone?
I record conversations on the voice recorder on my phone...

Bundling Chloe up for school after a huge November snowstorm.  She had on the whole nine yards, snow pants, gloves, boots, hat, coat, etc.  We knelt to pray and she said:  Mom, I can't fold my arms!
Serious A Christmas Story moment!

Brigham is kissing and kissing and kissing lately.  Constant kissing.  Tackle kissing.  Rough kissing.  Kissing Kissing Kissing.  It's something I know I should appreciate, but it's driving me nuts.

Brigham pointing at Stanton's nose hairs:  You have hair boogers, don't you?

Driving in the car, Brigham:  Mom and Dad, is there a Ghost of English Night?
Guess who's been watching The Muppet Christmas Carol in copious proportions?

Cannon started to sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" in nursery.  The other kids were still talking and playing...Cannon yelled out:  EBEEBODY BE QUIET!!!  I'M SINGING!
Here's the kicker, his nursery leader had all the kids be quiet and listen to him sing.  Yeah, that's gonna help.  And this is just one more example of my family's motto:  Everyone a soloist, no one a choir member....pretty much the story of our household life....

Sunday morning, I got out of the shower, wrapped my dark brown towel around my head, and ran downstairs to get Cannon out of his crib.  Cannon was still a bit groggy when I pulled him out.  He looked at me and said, "Oh, hi Kiki!"  It took a few seconds for his eyes to adjust after which he giggled and said, "Oh.  Hi Mom."
Love that my towel reminded him of Kiki's hair and LOVE that he was just as okay with Kiki getting him up in the morning as he was with me.

Chloe has recently been asking us for a puppy -- either a dalmatian or one with curly hair (like a cocker spaniel).  She received a dalmatian FurReal from her cousin Morgan on the same day she'd been asking us yet again:  Now, if only Santa could turn this into a real puppy, it would be the best Christmas ever.



Chloe with her magician outfit on:  Mom, I know some people might think this is boyish, but I've just always wanted to be a magician!

In nursery, Cannon's nursery teacher:  Cannon, you are just so cute!
Cannon, points to his hair:  My curls?  My curls?!

Brigham having a hard time focusing on eating his lunch:  I just can't eat.
Me:  Just eat a little bit more, Bud.
Brigham:  It's just that I can't because I love Dayton so much!

Chloe has been hearing rumblings about Santa Claus at school:  Mom, is Santa Claus real?
Me shocked:  Yes, he is.  Santa is the magic of Christmas and reminds us of Jesus.  He's real and you know what?  You're at a really fun age right now and there's nothing wrong with believing in Santa Claus.
Chloe in a "duh" voice: Oh, Mom, it's not that I don't believe in him, I believe in him.  I just want to know if he's real.
Love that believing heart!  I hope her faith in other very very important things can remain as pure.

Brigham getting ready for the day and picking out his clothes..
Me:  What do you want to wear for the day?
Brigham:  Um, I think I want to wear my "Mommy's Little Man" shirt...
Me:  Okay, and do you want some jeans to go with it?
Brigham:  Yeah, actually, I think maybe I'd like some tackys.
Me:  Oh, you want to wear your khakis with it?
Brigham:  Yeah, tackys will look really nice.

Lily was talking about her microphone then looked at our Christmas card display where she noticed a picture of Matt & Sara's family with little baby Eva: Hey mom!  They have a new baby in their family!
Me:  That's right!  That's little Eva Louise and she's who gave you her microphone.
Lily:  SHE gave me my microphone?
Me:  Yes.
Lily:  Is she one or something?
Me:  No, she's not.
Lily:  Is she ZERO?
Me:  Yes, she is.
Lily:  Mom, how did a Zero years baby pick out a present for a five year old girl?

Chloe has really enjoyed her Christmas presents this year, especially the ones from her grandparents -- a magician kit with cape and hat and a camera:  Mom, I didn't even know I wanted these presents!  I can't believe how amazing they are.  I should have put them on my list!
I loved this little moment of awareness.  We talked for a few minutes about how much cooler it is to receive a surprise than to just put in an order form -- and how blessed she was to have grandparents who knew her so well and thought about her with these gifts.  Just love her little moments of maturity lately.


 

3 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I absolutely adore that you record these conversations with your kids!

Anonymous said...

I love the Santa conversation! Although I know it's coming sooner than later with Gabe and his age *tear* I love that she believes no matter what. The way my kids are, once Gabe finds out the truth he'll automatically tell Sammie and I'll be down to only 1 excited for Santa.

Greg and Wendy said...

It was a wonderful gift-giving Christmas for Grandpa and me. So glad they were just right!