01 February 2009

Super Sunday

We had a great day today. Church was fantastic. It was nice to fast and feel the spirit -- and we were still enjoying the afterglow of Jim & Rachel's incredible week.

Tonight, we let the kids stay up and we had a Super Bowl party. It was really super -- Triscuits, Easy Cheese, and Juice Boxes. The game was probably the best I've ever watched. Well, no, the best was OSU's championship game in 2003 (it was '03, right??). This one was one for the ages, though. Awesome!

The kids were so fun.

One of the things Stanton & I have been talking about is that we need to change our perspective with our kids. We tend to think of them as "the things that thwart our plans." We think about going bowling, for instance, and then think that won't be any fun. We need to change our perspective, though, and make the bowling trip about THEM, not US. Just go into it knowing that we're going to use the bumpers, etc. We're going to have to go s-l-o-w, and we probably won't be bowling ourselves. If we look at it from that perspective, it can be a really fun experience.

At home, I need to think about how I can make them the center of the day. Instead of being frustrated when they interrupt me (while on the computer, reading the paper, folding laundry, etc.), I need to celebrate the time they play on their own and then when they need me, I need to put them first. And if I change my perspective (they're first, not me), it will actually be fun.

So now I have the inspiration. How to actually follow through??? I think I need to do some planning for the day time. I need to plan activities to do with the kids. And Stanton and I need to plan activities to do with them, too. So, here's to actually doing it...

5 comments:

Sara said...

i know exactly what you mean!
i have talked w/ my husband a lot about this. i don't want to feel like my kids get in the way of my sewing (that's usually what i want to be doing), but the other way around -- that my sewing gets in the way of my kids. that's part of my 'simplify' goal for the year -- to keep them FIRST. it's a daily thing, that's for sure. :)

Angie said...

I think that's the struggle that all Mom's and Dad's have. Keeping things fun! Lately Rick and I have been doing ok with the "outings" with the kids - the USU game, bowling, Hardware Ranch, etc - but the at home time is where we struggle too! So easy to get into your routine and forget that they need something to do. Maybe we should start a craft of the day (or maybe week would be a better goal) and then try go get our kids together to do it. (Or do it separately and let them show each other what they made) ;o) Now that's being very optimistic, I know. Here's to having a fun day!

Jocelyn said...

I am LOVING your idea, Ang!!!! Let's so do it!

flip flop mama said...

So glad you had a great Sunday! Good luck with your plan. I struggle with that and I only have one kid!

Paula -- CutieFruity said...

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having this selfish struggle. Someday they won't be in my home anymore and I'll miss being able to have them all to myself. I can sew later I guess, but they will only be little once.