If your family is anything like mine, they love fruit. They eat it better than any other food group. Except maybe the popsicle food group. Last summer, popsicles were absolutely a food group around here. I wasn't thrilled about that and was very excited to see that Marie over at
Make & Takes had come up with a great alternative. We call them Grapesicles around here and they have completely dethroned the popsicle. The kids totally prefer them and ask for these over Otter Pops every time. They consist of 8" lollipop sticks and grapes. You thread the grapes on (stick the end with the "hole" in it on first...you know, where the vine was attatched...). I had to let go of my obsessive "red-green-red-green" need and let the kids make whatever patterns they wanted this morning. Once you've got them all threaded on, just throw them in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag and put them in the freezer overnight. You'll be enjoying juicy, slushy, good for you popsicles without any mess by the very next day!


Don't mind the belly shot there -- it's getting hard to avoid lately.
The fun doesn't end there, though. Here's a fun way to serve bananas: Banana Packages! Another thing the kids just think is the coolest ever. Here's how you do it. I know, I know, pretty complicated. Thanks to my friend, Amy, for showing me these.

This is me peeling the banana package -- that's only for photographic purposes -- your little ones should totally do that part!
I'm wondering if Bananasicles would work? Hmmm...have to try that next week! What? Something I actually came up with on my own? Stop the presses!!!
There you have it -- two creative ways to serve fruit. What do you do to get your family eating good stuff?
11 comments:
I don't know if this really counts as creative serving but, my boys love thin thin thin slices of apples with lemon juice squeezed on them. Their favorite varieties to eat this way are gala, pink lady, fuji and Gabe's personal favorite Granny Smith.
Just for clarification sake, I asked the boys what is so different and delicious about having them sliced extra thin. The answer, they taste better and don't hurt your teeth when you take a big bite.
We used to dip half banana's in chocolate and freeze them, they seem to freeze well but don't let them thaw, they turn mushy.
These look yummy! Way to be healthy!
For the record, Grapesicles are a new hit around here, too. My kids were so excited when I told them we were going to make them "Like at Julie's house? Remember?"
I think we ate them in less than two days. Oops!
Frozen grapes are yummy. I like bananas unfrozen, but I know plenty of people who do. My kids like their carrots in peel form...like with a potato peeler. They think it is a fun way to eat them. You have to use big carrots though. I guess they were bored with the bag-o-carrots that I usually buy.
These are a hit at our house now too! Thanks for showing them to us when we had dinner at your place! Ethan wants to put strawberries on the stick next time. I'll let you know how that turns out (we'll probably make them tonight).
And the banana idea is so cute! But my real question is... what fun things can we do with veggies. Trevor hates most veggies, I need to find something that makes them appealing!
My kids love food on a stick.
I've had a friend tell me that frozen grapes are a favorite at her house. But now that Julie's said so, we'll have to give it a try!
I used to love frozen grapes as a kid...thanks for the reminder! My Wild Boys love all fruits, I bet they'll really like these ideas.
PS-I'm totally cracking up at the belly shot! :D
NATA - We did the carrot shreds today. My girls loved it! Thanks!
I love frozen grapes and frozen bananas. I like to freeze a banana and once it's frozen I mash it up and eat. It's like thick creamy ice cream without the calories and preservatives.
*~*~*~*
www.melissaburford.typepad.com
Post a Comment