Flylady is working. I have swept my front porch (in which I was sweeping straw from the bales I had on my porch last fall) and beat my welcome mat (yikes -- 3 years with nary a second look -- it was dirty), cleaned out our kitchen desk (THAT took a while), put kid clothes (that had been randomly strewn about 2 rooms in diaper boxes) into bins with lids and into closets where they belonged, cleaned out my junk/sewing/exercise room, AND finished my apron swap apron and started the appliques for the girls' summer t-shirts. In 3 days time I have accomplished all of this. Stanton came home today and said, "Who is this Flylady and where can I thank her?" Funny. Not at all.
My neighbors whose dog always pooped on our lawn (even after they got the leash) have put in a wireless fence -- it is a slice of heaven and I find myself liking their dog again.
Got a great sale on Cookie Lee jewelry from that same neighbor (nothing over $2.50!). Spent more than I needed to.
Kids played in the new playhouse for 3 1/2 hours this morning. In their pajamas. And tea party dresses from their dress up box (thank you DI). Brigham played the whole time too, but did NOT wear a dress, thank you very much.
I hired a babysitter this afternoon to play with the kids while I worked on the apron/appliques. It was awesome. I also ran a couple of errands; on one of them I found the huge flower pot container things I've wanted for our front porch -- on clearance! Super worth the baby sitter fee.
She played in the playhouse with them, played dress-up, took them for a walk and a bike ride in the rain. No, you can't have her, she's MINE!
Studied my scriptures this morning and found a gem in the first verse I read -- and didn't get any further because of kid interruptions. But it was still a great scripture study because I found something in the first verse that I could totally apply to my life right now. Awesome. Oh, it was Alma 1:1 -- it talks about King Mosiah setting laws, but having them acknowledged and approved by the people. It then says that the people were "obliged to abide by the laws which he made." Ah Hah! So I need to set real rules and help my children to understand and acknowledge them. Then they'll be obliged to follow them! And when they break them, the consequence will naturally follow -- with no room for complaint. I'm not saying I expect them to not complain, but I won't have to feel bad about it.
It's strange to realize, but I've never sat down and "set rules" for our home. I hear myself all day long, though, saying things like, "That's against the rules, Sweety." What rules? They sure don't know. But that's going to change. I'm going to think and pray and work on this this weekend and we'll have a Family Home Evening where we all acknowledge the rules.
What are your rules? What works?
Even with the projects I finished today, I have at least 6 more that I've either started or purchased supplies for. Foolishness.
I haven't felt like cooking lately. But I've forced myself to at least make spaghetti this week. Oh, and Cheryl's little passing reference to a potato/chicken/balsamic vinegar dish -- it was good. And I think it's funny that that is what I came away with from that particular post.
While putting away the kid clothes mentioned above, I felt an urge to get rid of all the baby girl clothes. What?
Pictures of Various Items:





Jill, this counts, right?
16 comments:
I thoroughly enjoyed that random post!
We have 'rules' but like your's the kids don't know until I say 'hey timeout for breaking the rules!'. Gotta fix that.
I love your apron. Very cute!
I'd love a babysitter for things like that, how does one go about 'finding' a babysitter? Seriously.
How did you do the potato, chicken and green bean dinner?
Doesn't fun new jewelry make it more fun to get dressed???? Love it!
Flylady is magic. I love the 15 fling boogie.
Do you want a few baby boy clothes? I'm feeling ready to part with stuff.
Sounds like some serious "NESTING" hehehe ANY BABY GIRL CLOTHES YOU DONT WANT I WILL GLADLY TAKE OFF YOUR HANDS!
I love when I accomplish a ton in such a short time. Your baby sitter sounds heaven sent! I need one of those! We were eyeing that same playhouse at Sams and almost bought it but "Chris the builder" decided he wanted to build his own for our kids so he is in process of finishing our new playhouse with Ethan. They are enjoying the time spent just the two of them too.
I'm glad my passing reference fed your family! I'm here for you.
I love your idea of rules. We've never really set ground rules, either, can you believe it!? I'm totally copying you and doing something for FHE. We've written chore charts before (never last), but rules is a different thing...I have a lot to think about!
I need to do FlyLady, too. Someday...someday...
P.S. You signing "Julie Rose" was like when you called me "Cheryl Seely" and it just felt strange, distant, de-ja-vu-ee-ish, and right all at the same time.
We did a FHE a while ago where we sat down and the kids helped make the rules. We have 5: 1. Respect everyone (which means use manners, no name calling, no tattling, share, etc.)2. No screaming 3. No pushing, hitting of kicking 4. Listen to Mom and Dad 5. No whining. These are posted on the fridge. And they get timeout right when the break the rules. Most of the time.
It sounds like I need a play house and a super babysitter. And you have convinced me that I need to sign up for Flylady. I did it years ago and it worked but I need to sign up again, I guess.
Aack! Blogger ate my comment! Maybe it was deemed "too long."
Quickly - Tay, the apron is so much cuter in real life. It's not good picture taking weather right now.
My babysitter is awesome. And she's young, only 12. I say ask the Beehives. You're bound to find a good one! And your kids are never too rowdy for a babysitter -- they're always much better for the new gal.
For the dinner: sliced russets (cause that's what I had) and onions on the mandolin, sauteed in olive oil for a LONG time, added green beans and chicken (I had grilled it outside earlier) and balsamic vinegar (I should have used a lot more) plus a little more oo. I would have loved it just as much without the chicken.
The jewelry: Yes. I LOVE new jewelry and I still want some of yours. But see, I got like 8 necklaces and 7 bracelets for $60. I need to suck it up and pay full price, but I'm just so stinking cheap sometimes. Especially when I know my kids will probably break it in 2 seconds. So will you be patient with me?
And since you always seem to be the one giving--yes, I'd love some baby boy clothes. Especially with your taste! You know we share a love for all things preppy a/o aloha.
Monica, I want so much to send you everything I have! But I know I'll regret it, so not right now! And while I'd love to call this nesting, I really give credit to the Flylady. How fun to build a house together! Go Chris!
Cheryl, Thank you! Did I do it like you? Is there a better way?
And yes, it was totally totally weird. I just sat there and stared at the check for a while.
Amanda, thanks for sharing your rules. That gives me a seriously great jumping off point. Or maybe a way to do this without having to think! Anyway -- the rules are just what I had in mind -- THANK YOU!
Are you nesting or building an entire aviary? Your productivity makes me want to lie down. But good for you!
Oh, and cute apron!
wow, I am impressed. I tried flylady once and found her to be a little too demanding - jk. The last two days I have been lying around a lot, did you post all this stuff just to make me feel guilty? Seriously, I think you are awesome, but now I need to go rest.
Bythelbs and Alysia, the last few months of my life have been spent so to speak, lying down. I only blog about my good qualities, though. :)
And Bythelbs, really, I'm sure it's the Flylady. Although she sends WAY too many emails. WAY too many. I just delete until I find the zone missions. This week two of them didn't apply, so I tackled other projects. Okay, maybe there's a little nesting going on. I'll take it while it lasts, though.
Same experience, same scripture. We made a Family Constitution with rules that were voted upon and could be amended but parents have extra weighty votes. We update it at FHE. The Apron is very cute, very similar to the one I have on now. I cleaned out my hall closet am waiting for the next zone to figure out what to declutter next. We'll be putting food storage in that closet instead of random garbage. My husband says he loves the flylady.
Yes, Julie, this totally counts! Cute apron, totally my style. I think I'm making aprons for all my sisters for Christmas this year(shhhh, don't tell). But, now I have the sweetest offer from Jen to make them for me, and I think I'm going to take her up on it, I love that girl! Anyways, back to the post, keep up the cooking, your family will love you for it and you really are awesome!
haha, i love this random post. :) you're so cute! i just love your blog. and did i hear you mention appliques for the girls' summer tshirts?! yay! a girl after my own heart. i love spicing up my kids' clothes w/ appliques too (as you well know, i'm sure). can't wait to see. :)
Hi Janelle, Jill, & Sara! Janelle, you're now officially on my google reader -- I love all the things you have to say. I am with you -- I'm just WAITING to know what to declutter next! Why can't I figure that out on my own? Oh, and I love that you had the same experience with that particular scripture. Surely we could be real life friends! And way to find a place for food storage! We talked about that once, didn't we?
Jill, I know about the cooking. I do this sometimes, ya know? I really truly love to cook. Love it. I rarely make the same thing twice. But lately I've just had other things on my mind/plate/whatever. I haven't made my menus -- which is SO essential for me. But I'll keep trucking. At least my closets are getting cleaned out. :)
Sara! So Sew Sara! I love your blog, too! And yes, I'm putting appliques on their shirts. I'll blog about it when they're all finished. But you and a gal whose blog is Grace Violet Crafts were my inspiration. I love that you visit me!
Julie Rose - actually it felt weird for me to write "Julie Allen" on my links. My mind just went blank trying to remember your married name.
Girl - I just love you! I love your randomness that is so NOT random. Whenever I leave your blog I have these mixed emotions of motivation and relief. Thanks for that!! I've heard flylady is amazing - but honestly, my kids are already so grown up I have a pretty manageable life. Weird. When did that happen?
And, no, it wasn't Amber Serr, although I talk to her a lot. She's in Rigby, married to an electrician from Swan Valley and has two kids; Eli(7) and Rainey(5). She is even prettier than she was in high school, if you can imagine that and teaches yoga a few times a week. Quite the girl.
Julie,
I sure love you! Thanks for always commenting on our blog it's great to hear from you! I love checking your blog in fact I think I do it almost daily just to see the kids. It's fun to keep up with how fast they grow and Brigham we love him! Well we love them all but he's a charmer! Thanks for your example and friendship!
Christine, let's see, relieved you're not as crazy as me and motivated to stay that way? :)
Please tell Amber hello sometime. And I can't imagine her prettier than in high school, but then again, I couldn't imagine you prettier and here you are. How do you smart, pretty, nice, talented girls do it? I stand in admiration. And don't say you're not talented.
Angie! I love your blog and have it on my google reader! You will always be so special to me! Brig is a charmer, isn't he? The girls are anxiously awaiting their "sleep-over" with you guys later this month!
Hey, thanks for the scripture gem because I'm definately using that when we get back out to Idaho. I was looking at Cheryl's blog and came across yours and the comment about Skip and I thought, "Hold the phone! That's a high school chum!" So, that's why I'm saying hi. It's becca..the twin. I went private on my blog, but I'd love you put you on the list if you want. bfahansen@hotmail.com
Post a Comment