21 August 2011

Park Valley 24th

The Park Valley 24th celebration usually conflicts with Stanton's family reunion, so we have to miss it.  We got lucky this year -- they were on separate weekends.  What a treat to visit my hometown and be with my cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents!

We didn't make it out in time for the parade or program, but we got there for lunch (hamdingers, how I LOVE YOU!), the races (yeah, yeah, yeah, my kids did great, but the real news is I WON!!!!!  I won the 20+ (I think that's right) women's race and I was dang happy about it.  Seriously, there were Kunzler and Pugsley girls in that race...it was like a vindication of all my elementary school years.  Haha!), and the rodeo.  The rodeo was a lot of fun...small and fun.  And my cousin Bill's two little girls, Aubrey and Shaylee were in the Box Elder royalty this year, so they got to wear their crowns and ride in the grand entry.  Ooooh, they were so cute!

Some pictures from the day:

This is my beautiful Grandma.  This picture haunts me because I can see the light slowly burning out in her eyes.  It's been sad to see her health and her mind decline so rapidly over the last couple of years, especially lately.  I'm glad we are getting these little moments to be with her and grandpa, though.  My children are so lucky to have so many of their great-grandparents still alive and loving them. 

Cute little Rodeo Queens in the making.  And a proud daddy and grandpa, too!  My uncle Brent (dad's brother) is in the brown plaid shirt, my cousin Bill (Brent's son) is in the white shirt.  Bill was my best friend/cousin growing up.  I love that guy.

I didn't take a lot of pictures during the day, but these are from the rodeo.  The boys had a lot of fun climbing the bleachers, watching the cow riding, and playing in the dirt.

The girls had a great time, too.  They built a nest for some eggs (rocks) and decorated it beautifully. 


Bill was sweet enough to take my city slicker kids on the horse, too.  It's crazy to me that at Lily's age, I was out riding my horse, Lady, bareback for hours at a time.  I get a little sad that my children aren't having the ranch life experience like I did...but they are getting opportunities that I never had growing up simply because they live in town.  There are trade-offs no matter where you live and I know that.

It was soul-filling to be in Park Valley a couple of different times this summer (the first time was for the baby blessing of Bill's son, Wade in June or July..can't remember).  It will always be my home.  I love it there.

5 comments:

And We Sailed On said...

That looks like SO MUCH FUN! xoxo
E

Lindsay said...

Me again...sick of my commenting yet?

I heard you won your race at PV. That is awesome!!! Vindication! haha love it!

Amy said...

Your picture of Grandma brought tears to my eyes. Yes, that light is slowly fading, isn't? :( Makes me sad as well. Glad that you guys were able to make it to the PV Celebration this year - maybe I'll beat you in the races next year :) haha!!

Greg and Wendy said...

Wow, Julie, you didn't tell me you won your race! All your exercising and activity have paid off...you're not getting older, you're getting better as they say! Way to go, girl! That is plain impressive! I, too, LOVE that picture of Grandma. She looks so beautiful but you are right, the light in her eyes is fading and it hurts all of our hearts! We always need to keep her legacy of faith and endurance alive...it's the best tribute we could ever pay her!

Greg and Wendy said...

So glad the kids got to ride horses. They look so cute and happy! You are right about the opportunities presented to you no matter where you live...it is just ours to find them and make the most of them!