21 June 2010

Various Items

Just a little this and that to remember:

We tended Porter & Kamryn, my little twin nephew and niece, on Saturday.  It was delightful.  They are just barely 2, so a couple of months older than Cannon.  He really enjoyed their company and since being with them, now refuses to drink out of any cup with a lid.  He's doing a great job with it and well, it's nice to not wash as many sippy cups lately.

This week is a busy one.  We go straight from swim lessons in the morning to summer camp at preschool (the kids will be 10 minutes late with travel between the 2).  Then we have piano lessons and practice on top of that, as well as a weekend trip south for a family get together.  The next week is equally busy with swim lessons and a family reunion in Idaho on the agenda.  This summer is absolutely flying by and I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  It's the first summer of my motherhood life that has seemed to go by quickly.  I'm definitely recognizing a shift to a new phase of life.  I think if I had the option of bottling my kids at a certain age or phase, this would be the one I chose.  At least right now.  I may change my mind when they move to yet another phase.  We're definitely loving life right now.

At this particular moment, Cannon is napping and Chloe, Lily, and Brigham are laying under the trampoline with a blanket, water bottles, and a basket of books.  Summertime....and the livin' is easy....

Last night at 2 am, I woke up from a terrible dream.  Our home had been broken into.  The thieves thought we were away, but we were just downstairs.  It ended rather humorously, as I ran upstairs and told the man to get out of my house.  He made it out with just 2 apples.  I saw that he wasn't alone in my backyard and I yelled to the others "You drop those apples NOW."  They did and ran away.  I was able to take the apples to the police where they lifted fingerprints from them and caught the bad guys.  In spite of the happy ending in my dream, I couldn't get back to sleep.  I had a gnawing feeling that we needed to lock all the windows.  Stanton, who has a very difficult time getting back to sleep if he's woken in the night, was so kind about my neurosis and got up with me.  We checked all the windows and discovered a few that were unlocked.  I was able to drift back to sleep pretty quickly after I knew everything was secure.  Stanton said he didn't have much trouble, either.

Finally, a funny conversation that I keep replaying in my mind.  Yesterday Chloe asked me to come talk to her while she used the bathroom.  She was asking pointed questions about the difference between girls and boys.  We have a policy in our house that we use the real words for body parts and explain them as appropriately as age allows.  So, Chloe and I had a conversation about the different parts that girls have compared to boys and how that's something that makes us different.  After the conversation ended (with the reminder that we should only talk to Mom and Dad about things like that, not our friends, etc.), Chloe had just one more question:
"Now, can you tell me again, We have a what from China?"
I literally laugh out loud every time I replay those words.  May she remain ever so innocent.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Now I'm laughing out loud, a what from China. Thanks for sharing that!!! I'm sorry about your dream, I really don't like dreams like that, especially when they interfere with my sleep. Enjoy the busy days of summer, and relish the slow ones!

Lorraine said...

LOL. I enjoy reading your conversations with your kids posts so much. Very cute! Kiddies really do say the funniest things.

SewSara said...

a WHAT from china?! LOL!
she'll die when you tell her this story when she's 16. ;)

(we, too, have that policy to use the "real" words in our house. sometimes it comes back to bite us ;) )

Greg and Wendy said...

At least you were the hero in your dream!
And oh, Chloe, can't we just bottle you up and keep this sweet innocence of yours? That was priceless!

Chandler Family said...

When I was asked as a child the difference between boys and girls I (so confindently) said, " Boys have more fur!"
Love Chlo!