I had a Relief Society meeting last night (which was so inspiring, by the way). Stanton was home with the kids and had put them to bed. After they were all in bed, he went out to the chicken coop to see how things were going out there. He spent about 15-20 minutes out there and when he started to come inside, he heard wails and crying. Upon coming into the house, he found all four kids together upstairs. Chloe and Lily were sobbing, Brigham was crying because they were crying, and Cannon was playing with toys.
Stanton went to them and hugged them and asked what was wrong. Chloe, through her sobs, said, "We thought you and Mom had left us and I was so worried because I thought I was going to have to be in charge. (sob, sob, sob) And I thought I was even going to have to take care of the chickens."
It turns out that Brigham had come into their room (a bad habit he's been practicing lately) and when they came upstairs to tell us, they couldn't find either of us and got really worried. Brigham got Cannon out of his crib because they just all needed to be together at a time like that, apparently. Stanton, of course, assured them that we'd never, ever leave them alone without either us or a babysitter. He said Chloe really looked so relieved that she wasn't going to have to be in charge of all those kids by herself.
As sad/humorous as it was, I have to admit, it's good for them to feel the weight of responsibility (every so often) that Stanton and I carry each and every day.
And are you having visions of The Boxcar Children? I know am.

5 comments:
Great story! I loved those books! Brings back great memories of reading them as a child.
Oh man, break your heart. But Amen to them realizing the work it is to take care of all of them! Ethan had one of those "I thought you left me" moments awhile back and the tears in his eyes just broke my heart - couldn't imagine having all 4 crying :o)
That is such a memorable story! I bet they'll laugh about it when they are older!
Such cute and wonderful stories and conversations! As I've expressed before...definitely my favorite posts! Your little ones say THE cutest things that should be preserved for posterity!
Oh, and the thought crossed my mind that Brigham will probably be happy to stay in his room when he has a little brother sharing his space eventually. He probably gets lonesome in there!
Only you would think of the BoxCar Children after experiencing that sad little moment with your children. Your mind amazes me!
Oh, and.....good for you doing the little school with the kids this summer! Hopefully they will remember you for this and not just for cleaning haha! Sometimes I think that is all you kids remember of me when you were little! I promise...we did MANY fun things as well...really!!!!!
Love this post! And The Boxcar Children is an all-time favorite of mine! Some days I wonder how I was put in charge! ;)
Post a Comment