02 August 2009

Life Lately

I had a Kids Lately post in the works on the back of an envelope...well, we all know how those things tend to get lost before they can be of any use. So instead, Life Lately. The cute stuff I can remember sprinkled with random activities over the last little while and thoughts on the side.

* Tuesday is 5 weeks post-op for Brigham. I can hardly believe that much time has passed. He's hard at work being a total stinker 80% of the time. The other 20% he spends cuddling and kissing me on the lips, cheeks, neck, and forehead, thus getting out of most any sort of discipline he might otherwise encounter.

* "Actually" is a word that is bandied about by the girls quite frequently. They're always correcting each other and me with "Actually, it's (fill in the blank here...)":
Brigham: Actuawy, Mama, it's (I can't even remember the end of the sentence because I was chuckling at his correct usage of the word).

* Conversation between Chloe & Lily:
Chloe: I see London, I see France. I see Lily's underpants. Might be orange, might be white, might be full of dynamite.
Lily: No they're not, they're full of my bottom.

*Chloe, while feeling really sick this weekend (in a very whiny voice): I feel all wiggly jiggly.
A few minutes later, while having an emotional breakdown for no particular reason: I just can't stop crying!
Today at dinner (still distressed and not herself): I'm feeling all bumpy!
Upon further investigation, we learned that by bumpy she meant the way you feel in a bumpy car ride. She was feeling queasy.
(This was a significant sickness for Chloe...in that it was the first time where she was very aware of how she felt emotionally and physically during the illness. It was interesting to watch her little spirit battle with her body.

*We had a gorgeous picnic up at Tony Grove on the 23rd. It was a beautiful day. I met Em & Nate and Dave & Judy up there after they'd gone on a long hike. I forgot to sunscreen Cannon...again. He got blisters on his face...again. I'd like to line up for swift kicks to the rear...again.


Brigham fell in the lake at one point after following Chloe out a bit further than he was tall enough for. I took Chloe up the mountain a bit to go potty a few minutes later where we had the following conversation:
Me: I know you're big enough to go out further, but I need you to stay close so Briggy doesn't follow you.
Chloe: I wish Brigham wouldn't swim ever again so I could go out there.


* Earlier that day the kids and I met Angie Heck and her boys at the park for our town's 24th of July breakfast and parade. We found the perfect spot on the parade route and made a ridiculous haul of candy. It was worse (or better, depending on who you ask) than Halloween. My favorite moment of the parade was when the color guard came by (they were in their uniforms) and Brigham and Trevor instinctively put their hands up in the air as if to surrender to the cops. It was really funny.
The Hecks are moving to Missouri in 2 short weeks and my heart is sad.

* Later that evening (Stanton had gone on a bike ride with Don in SLC), we all met at Jim & Rachel's for brinner.
Lily that evening: "Mama, when breakfast bonks into dinner, it makes brinner."
We had amazing amazing amazing buttermilk pancakes, bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, chocolate milk, orange juice, magic syrup. It was pretty much the best meal of my life.
After dinner, Cannon was an angel and fell asleep in the Pack n Play inside Jim & Rach's house while the kids played in the backyard. Jimmy took them on a tractor ride and they wrestled well into the dark waiting for the fireworks. Jim & Rach live near the park where the fireworks are lit and their backyard had a fantastic view. The kids loved staying up late and cuddling with Stanton in the blanket. We also saw the International Space Station and Space Shuttle orbit over us. It is always so neat to see that.
Nate with not his daughter. Little Shelbi who is now a big sister.
Rachel with beautiful little Mary who has the cutest little squeak for a cry.
Emily, who totally pulls off the pixie cut. Wish my face could hack it. Oh, and that I was a machine hiker like she is, too.
Jimmy the Great. He was going so fast I couldn't get a focused picture of them!
Hey Em, would ya move your knees so I can get Shelbi's reaction to Judy?
Staying up late. And I love those bums.
Watching the space station cross over the sky and the fireworks after.
All three of the kids (at various times): "Mom, my favorite part was the Grand F...what's it called?"
Me: What?
Them: You know that finale. Oh! The Grand Finale. My favorite part was the Grand Finale!

Praying that night...
Chloe: Dear Heavenly Father, thankful we got to see the sp.....Mom, what was that thing called that we saw?
Me: What"
Chloe: You know, the space thing. The space station. Oh, yeah! Thank thee we got to see the space station. sighs. I know it was amazing...


* Saturday we headed out to Park Valley for the 24th celebration out there. I love Park Valley. I love my roots and that I have claim on that wonderful little town. I love the Hamdingers and vow to eat at least 2 during every celebration. I did it and wanted more. The kids loved getting candy whenever they wanted just by tugging on Grandma's leg and asking her to take them to the bowry. Lily loved her "Gator drink." Chloe loved the Country Time Lemonade. Brigham loved the "sohda." They had candy and soda and hot dogs and hamburgers until I was certain they'd explode. They didn't. In fact, they had plenty of energy to run back and forth between the playground at the school and the shades our family had set up (a good 400 yards, I'd say). They ran their foot races and so did I. I was the only one in my family to represent the adult women. Shame on all you Rose girls!!! I think I got 3rd place. I was the oldest one in my division this year and I'm just glad I didn't fall on my face. I'm sure it will happen soon. After my race, Lily came over and said, "I still love you, Mama, even though you didn't win." Thanks, Lil.
The kids were great in their races. I love the photos I captured of each of them. They paint the picture of each kids' feelings about the race.
Brigham was out there just enjoying the fact that he could run with reckless abandon. He ended up running in about 3 other races and loving every one (even when he lost to the much bigger kids).
Lily was so determined to win (that's her on the middle right in the orange shirt). She might have, I wasn't really caring. I just loved seeing her so intense. She ran a few other races, too, and was more heartbroken the further back she'd finish. It took some serious coaxing to make her realize that she was losing because the kids she was racing against were 5 years older than her and had much longer legs. After that, she stopped racing.
Chloe was a much better sport than I've seen her be in the past. She loves to win and is extremely competitive. I think it helped that she was racing against her cousin, Aubrey. It made it a bit more fun. I love how Chloe's tongue is sticking out in this picture. Sheer will to win right from the starting gun.
I convinced the girls to run the 3-legged race. Bad idea. They were pretty unfamiliar with the concept and my 3 second pep-talk "Go slow, work together, outside, inside" was no help at all. The gun fired and they sped off, trying to keep up with the other kids. They fell within several yards and were bawling as they watched their competition cross the finish line before they could get up. I ran to the middle of the field and helped them finish. I was determined that they cross the finish line, even if they were crying the whole time. They did and they did. I'm not sure the quarters they got at the end made up for anything.

Just before the rodeo was to begin, we were getting the girls changed into their jeans and long-sleeved shirts. It was one of those great moments where I had a perfect snapshot of the differences in their personalities. I had Chloe going first and she was very concerned about changing out in the open. She didn't want anyone to see her with her shirt off or see her panties. I got my sister, Lori, to stand guard on one side and I on the other while I helped her quickly get changed. Just as we were buttoning up her jeans, I turned around only to see Lily standing there in her underwear asking where her clothes were...not a care in the world who could see her.

Just as we were settling in for the rodeo, the wind started to blow like crazy and it was all we could do to get the shades down and everything packed up and to the vans before an insane rainstorm began.
I took Cannon to the van and buckled him in. We enjoyed the dry van while Stanton and the kids decided to weather it out under a huge umbrella. The kids enjoyed that for about 10 minutes until one by one they each came running for the van.
I didn't have it turned on, so my wipers weren't working, so I didn't see either of the girls running to the van. Lily was first and a lady came pounding on my door, "Is this your kid? She was in the road." She hurriedly threw Lil in the van and slammed the door shut because the rain was pouring into the van. Thank you, Lady, for saving Lily from drowning in the streets. Not 5 minutes later, along came Chloe who had to kick on the door to get my attention. We got her in quickly and waited for Stanton and Brigham to get themselves out of the storm. We stuck around for a bit, but figured there was no way the rodeo was going to happen after a storm like that. It didn't....for about another 2 1/2 hours -- they ended up starting the rodeo at quarter to 9 and not finishing till close to midnight, so I'm glad we headed home. It rained right in Park Valley for a good hour and a half. On the news that night they reported that in the first half hour of the storm alone, Park Valley had gotten 0.85 inches of rain! While it's not fun to have the rodeo rained out, the rain is so needed out there, so we can hardly complain.
It was so fun to be out in my hometown and spend time with family and catch up with old friends. That is just one of those places that will always be the same. Good, friendly, hard-working, honest, helpful....just plain good. That's what Park Valley is.

* This week was spent going to Story Time at the library, picnicking at the park, taking Brig to his cardiologist, shopping (with the kids' own money) for birthday presents for Stanton, making a cake for Stanton, going on an adventurous Jeep ride with Stanton (without kids, thankfully) where we ended up pulling a guy out of a serious pickle and calling the police on an entirely different set of guys. Between those two events, we enjoyed a beautiful ride up Providence Canyon and toward Mt. Logan with a picnic near the top and a beautiful drive down through Logan Canyon. Fun night. Stanton is 34 this year. One of his staff said, "Wow, you look really good for 34." I think she meant it as a compliment.
Figuring out how to get him out. They ended up pulling from the front end. I was really impressed that the Jeep was able to pull him out on this crazy gravel.
Hot.
Our incredible mountains. I love this place.
The weekend has been spent playing with cousins, picnicking at the park, cleaning up throw-up, tending to two little girls with high fevers and not giving them Tylenol because I just wanted them to lay down and get some rest. It worked and they seem to be on the mend.

* Brigham is pooping way too much for me lately. I think it's him, combined with Cannon, combined with throw-up from Chloe that just did me in this weekend. I think I might maybe, possibly be ready to potty train him. Maybe. And he's starting preschool 2 days a week in September and while it's not a requirement to have him trained, per se, I'm pretty sure they'd appreciate it. I just want to hire someone to potty train him because I don't want to deal with it. And I don't want to be angry with him. I'm always angry when I'm potty training. That's why Lily was so smart to do it herself while we were in Hawaii in '08. Smart kid...smart.
Oh, Chloe is still having a hard time staying dry at night. After 3 wet beds in a row, we went back to pull-ups, but I'm waking up at 3:00 every morning to take her to the bathroom. I don't know if that's productive or not, but that's what we're doing.

* We kept the girls home from Church today, which meant Cannon stayed home, too because there's really no reason to take him if someone is home anyway. He had an amazing nap and I think all the sleep he's getting is helping him fight this bug the girls have. I'm so surprised Brigham hasn't gotten it. I'm so hoping he doesn't, because we have a fun day at the pool in Riverdale planned with Angie S. I don't want to miss it!

*Final "Brig and his doctors" picture. Got one of him with Dr. Everitt this week when we went down for his check-up. Everything looks fantastic and he's off his Lasix now. That leaves just his Aspirin once a day and Enalipril twice a day. The Lasix was the one he really disliked, so we're very glad to have that one off the list!
* Lily greeted me with this lovely ensemble (can it be called an ensemble with only one piece?!) the other day. She loves being "immodest." In fact, last Sunday I was putting on my dress for church which happened to be sort of a halter top style dress. I was tying it over my white shirt, which Lily must have mistaken for my white undergarment (that we wear for religious purposes). She looked at me excitedly and said, "Mom! You're immodest! I love it!" She wants so much to be like those ding dang Disney princesses with their cleavage out there for all the world to see. Oh, well. She's 4. Anyway, here's her ensemble for the other day. I decided not to stop her. And I do have to compliment her choice of shoes. They're one of my favorite pair.
* One last thing: Cannon is now walking 7 to 8 steps at a time! And just today, he figured out how to stand up without holding on to anything. He's also doing peek-a-boo by himself and all the actions to Pat-a-Cake. He can climb all the way to the top of the stairs but hasn't figured out how to go down yet. I crave the day I can take down our gate. It will be so wonderful! Cannon is getting cuter every day. I love that little boy!

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow! That made my head spin. You guys are so awesome. Looks like you have had every bit of the good, bad and ugly the last few weeks. Sounds like a blast. Hope your girly girls are feeling better soon. Loves......

Jocelyn said...

Hey Rhiannon -- hope you noticed Brigham's awesome shirt! He insisted on wearing it to his appointment! Thanks for letting him be the super hero of the day! And the girls love the art supplies! Thank you so much for thinking of us! I'm so far behind on thank you notes right now that this is the best I'm going to be able to give you for a while! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I should be as thorough ~ but I get lazy with my posting. The whole clothing deal made me laugh. My kids are exhibitionists! They love turning our home into a nudie-fest. And I loved the comment under Stanton's picture--too funny.

Greg and Wendy said...

Such a great informative post! Hope the girls are feeling better and that Brig still doesn't have it. We just can't believe it has been 5 weeks since the surgery and he looks and acts so well. I loved the picture with Dr. Everett. So glad you had fun in Park Valley. Sorry we missed the races but thanks for the pictures you posted. So darn cute! Brent called us that night from the truck telling us about the downpour. You just can't ever be sad when it rains in the Park Valley desert...even if it does postpone the rodeo. Your posts about Chloe and Lily and their personality differences makes me laugh even more after having them here. It reminds me of our three beautiful daughters and their completely different personalities!!!! The modesty issue is so funny as I certainly noticed that difference! I'm sure Lily's exhibitionism (is that a word?) will temper in time. She is such a hoot!

Susan M said...

Your kids are so funny. And I so wish my last name were Heck. How cool must that be.

Cindy said...

Lily in the tutu makes me giggle everytime I look at it. Oh, and the picture of Stanton labeled (hot) That's just what I was thinking. (he he he he)