12 January 2009

This is the Moment

I have a motto for 2009:

This Is The Moment

I'm really feeling it so far. Today I lived in the moment with the kids. They played upstairs and even in the midst of the mess of toys, I was able to love and enjoy the moment.

They played train...
They played Disney dolls...
They played cowboy (didn't get pictures with their stick horses & cowboy hats, but here's Brig on his "tractor"...
And this little fella just enjoyed the show...
Have you ever stopped and looked at it from their perspective? The world's different from down there...
And we ended the day with a dollar show Family Home Evening. We saw Bolt. It was very cute, by the way.

Even with the loads of laundry that will probably forever populate the kitchen table (although the latest finally got folded today!) and the windows that will probably never get covered with drapes, and the walls that will probably never be decorated, we enjoyed the moment. And it was good.


This Is The Moment

10 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Those are the kinds of days that kids remember...good job livin' in the moment. :)

Alison said...

My boys seriously did the train just the other day with metal folding chairs. They had so much fun sliding through the resulting tunnel. I love your theme and your new hair do. You got up in the choir and I was like... is that Julie!? WOW!!! I bet you feel like a different person.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I will try to follow your example. I've got the laundry part down, at least. :)

Anonymous said...

I laughed when I saw your "train" chairs, because I remember doing that when I was a kid but we called it the school bus. The person in the first seat was the bus driver and they'd look up in the extremely large rear view mirror and yell, "sit down, kid!" (I think we had a mean bus driver in real life.) Anyway, guess you had to be there. :)

Christine Williams said...

Man! I wish all of us moms could do that every day. It is true, that they will remember you for those moments . . . and the ones where we kept saying "Just a minute - mom's almost done!" Then an hour later, we're still busy. Good for you, Julie. Thanks for reminding me to be the mom I want my kids to remember!

And I'm feeling your pain about the hair. I just whacked mine off yesterday and I am sorely missing it, actually. Why is every haircut like that for me???? It's not short like yours (which is ADORABLE by the way) but it is short for me. What was I thinking a week before my baby comes?!

Angie said...

Way to go, Julie. I find that the days you live in the moment end up being the most relaxing and fun for everyone. It's just hard to make your mind up to do it!

And I've taken the "kid's point of view" often and it's much better than standing up all the time. You don't see as much of the mess and it makes it easier to ignore. Maybe that's why they never want to pick up -- they don't see the full mess that we do. Ha!

Amanda D said...

Such a great idea. This year I'm trying to be more of a "Yes" mom. I find myself saying no automatically. I need to say yes more. Yes, I'll play that game. Yes, you can have a sucker. Yes, I'll watch a show with you. You know what I mean?

Kim said...

Hi Julie! Your family is beautiful! Living in the moment is something I need to work on desperatly! Your hair is beautiful! Your blog is great!
Kim Barton Melicharek

flip flop mama said...

What a great reminder to just enjoy every day1

Greg and Wendy said...

Simple counsel from a prophet of God that when lived makes life with little ones so much more enjoyable! I love you! And though the counsel is not new by any means, I love that Pres. Monson is so "in tune" that he is accutely aware of our great need to do that and our great tendency not to! This is one of my goals for the year!