07 October 2008

Halloween Decorating

I haven't ever really amped up my Halloween decorations because I love getting Christmas up early. This year, though, I have been inspired by all the blogs I follow and their great fall/Halloween decor. I decided that instead of going out and buying things, though, I'd see what I could do with what I already had on hand in the craft stash.
This is the display in its entirety. I will admit that I bought the BOO and the bird for 50% off at Hobby Lobby today. Everything else, though, is from my own stash.
This was an old picture frame that was wasting away in a box. I put some spiderweb fabric inside and stamped/embellished the "boo." I think the old rickety window look is cool.
This was some scrapbook paper and embossing powder. The frame was another in a box -- it was white yesterday, but I painted it black. I was so lazy that I didn't even remove the paper to paint the frame. You can see smudges all over the edges. And it's that sort of plasticy wood that doesn't hold paint well -- but the white showing through works for Halloween, I've decided. Don't look at the back or bottom of the frame -- they're still white...
This tree makes me so happy. I painted a branch (that was actually in my stash...) black and tied ribbons all over. I also attached buttons with Glue Dots. The vase was part of a gift from a dentist. After I killed the plant (hey, it lasted about 3 months!), I kept the pot. I'm glad I did. It's filled with poly pellets to keep the branch upright and finished off with ribbon and some scrap fabric.
A basket I inherited from Stanton's aunt. I filled it with more scrap fabric and put the vase on top. I like the height it adds.
The trick or treat blocks are from my sister in law, Rachel. I love her vinyl. These were one of my first Halloween decorations.
Honestly, how could I not buy this bird? I am in love with it. It had a very ugly berry thing around its neck, which I removed. I tied ribbon that coordinated with the rest of the decor. It's the perfect finishing touch.

All in all, I'm totally pleased with how things turned out. Bring on the spook!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, I love all the crafty goodness going on! The EEK frame is really adorable and very clever!

Chandler Family said...

Miss Julie you are oh so crafty!

TaLaisa said...

That is so cute! I am terrible at the house decorating, holidays included. I wish I could borrow some of your decorating creativity. It looks so fun!

Anonymous said...

I love Halloween! We pass up the spooky skeleton, ugly monster part of it (as per Gabe's request) and focus on the fun colors, candy, etc. like you've done. I love the button tree.

Angie said...

So cute, Julie! I might just have to dig out all my fall decorations. They've been put away for a couple years now, but seeing this makes me want to uncover them and celebrate the autumn season.

stephanie h said...

Everything looks great! I love it!

Unknown said...

So, so cute! It's so fun to decorate. I love my kids reactions when I put fun stuff up.

Veggiemomof2 said...

I like it all, but my fav is your piano decor! :)

Sara said...

i love it! i need to put something like that together in my house!

Chelsea Van Tol said...

Lovely :) I love the uniform color choices, and especially love what you did on the piano.