13 October 2008

Cannon's Blessing

We celebrated our sweet little Cannon this weekend with a family luncheon and his blessing in church. It is always so fun to be with our extended family and we really love that so many make the effort to attend these events.

A few pictures from Sunday...

Okay, this one's from Saturday, my dad & the kids reading "Kate & the Beanstalk." Brigham loves to say "Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum'n"

Me & my Brig in his dapper Sunday suit.

Lily & me.

I'm noticing lately that we wear these dresses a lot.

Lily being a great big sis.

Chloe with my cousins, Chrystal & Whitney

Cindy, I know you want to kick me right now! I just think it's funny to see grown ups from a 3 year old's perspective.

Me & my sharp dressed little guy.

Stanton & Cannon

I have to say, I have some handsome men in my life.
I love that they are all wearing red ties with their suits.

Stanton gave such a nice blessing. A few things I remember from it...he blessed him that he would learn and be excited to be baptized. He blessed him to understand that the most important calling he will fulfill in the church will be as a husband and a father. He blessed him to understand that those are the callings that are really important and that he will be blessed with much revelation in those callings.
I wish I could remember more, but I was...ahem...a bit distracted by the little'ns.

Also, I took Cannon to his 2 month check-up on Thursday. No one got locked in a room, success! Dr. McKenna noticed Cannon is favoring his right side and that his head is a bit deformed (his right side is further forward - ear & forehead, mostly) because of it. The condition is called torticollis. He'll be starting physical therapy this week to help lengthen and develop the muscle in his neck. It's certainly not great news, but considering the other health concerns we've dealt with, this will be just fine. Physical therapy is highly successful and if it doesn't work out, then there is still the option of a helmet to correct the plagiocephaly. Dr. McKenna is confident we've caught it early enough, though, so PT should do the job.

19 comments:

Monica said...

Here's a story of my inexperience when I was a new mother with Ethan, my oldest. I always put him to bed and he would always lay on one side and he got a "flat spot" The dr told me, put him on his belly (what you can do that?! That was my response because I had no idea about "tummy time") and then we put a rolled blanket under him to force him to favor the other side and then in a month's time it was gone so just a trick to try. It really did help! I am sure he will be fine!

Monica said...

PS Jewels you don't look like you have any pregnancy weight left to loose! You look great!

Angie said...

Oh you all look so sweet dressed up and ready for Cannon's blessing! What you wrote of Stanton's blessing for Cannon sounds wonderful... one you wish could be video taped and played over so you can actually remember what was said.

And oh man - if it's not one thing with kids, it's another! I'm glad you caught things early and you're right about it being treatable. One of the premies that was born in our family had the same thing and he went through PT to correct it. He is doing just fine and has full range of motion now. Just hang in there... PT can be a bit draining. You just have to have a PT mode for yourself and a Mom mode - and they have to remain separate during those PT times! Any questions, let me know... we've been through a lot of PT for Trev (as you know).

Love ya

TaLaisa said...

Everyone looks so sharp in their Sunday attire! Love the pictures. Where did you find such great looking suits for your little boys??

Is it me or did you change clothes?? Black in one, red in the other? Or is the red after church? Sorry, small thing but I noticed.

I also love the necklace as a wrist wrap/bracelet. Is it longer than you like for necklaces? I could fix that, when you come look at baby clothes.

I've heard great things about the success rate for PT on those kinds of things.

Jocelyn said...

Monica, thanks for the advice. He is getting quite a bit more tummy time nowadays!

Angie, I hadn't even thought about PT vs. Mom mode. Thanks for the heads up. I may be talking to you about this a lot!

TaLaisa, I LOVE that you noticed the clothes! I decided to change last minute before the party. And no, the necklace is not too long, I just wanted to wear it as a wrap -- I love that about your jewelry! I got the boys' suits at...where else?...Sam's Club. I bought Brig's last year and Cannon's on Saturday. Every October they have a travelling display of dress wear for kids. I always buy something! I am so in love with Cannon's outfit!

Anonymous said...

The fishy lips!

Beautiful family.

I think the torticollis is fairly common. I've had several friends/family members go through the same thing. They'll fix him right up, I'm sure.

Never A True Aggie said...

Very cute pictures.

At my old job we worked with babies who had torticollis. It is actually more common then you would think and usually PT is all that is needed. Sounds like you caught it early enough. You might want to call your Early Start or Early On agency in your state. In CA it was Early Start and the state provides the PT free as part of healthy child legislation. UT may be the same thing since it is a federal law. The RN's and PT's that I worked with were always so nice and gentle with the babies and very helpful with the moms. You should be in good hands. Anyway, good luck, and the kids sure look cute.

Christie said...

Julie,
It was very fun to see the family and share the day with you.
The meal was great. Sorry I couldn't stay longer, but the kids said it was great. The picture of the girls is darling with Chloe. Thanks for inviting us. Love ya, Chris

Cindy said...

Wow! Did I really look that bad?? Okay, remove the picture........I asked nicely! Thanks for yesterday, it was so much fun to see you guys and baby Cannon is so adorable. I'm still in awe over all the hair!! What a little man. I agree, Stanton gave a beautiful blessing and I'm glad you jotted down some rememberances. He will appreciate that someday. Love you....now remove the picture!

Jocelyn said...

Cindy, Ha Ha! NO WAY!!! This is payback for all those years of making me do chores even though Mom wouldn't be home for another 4 hours!
Bwah ha ha!!!!

TaLaisa said...

Ha ha ha. I love the sisterly teasing. And it sounds like I need to find someone with a Sam's club membership (Costco only gets girl stuff for Christmas).

I'd love love love to find suits for the boys.

Stanton changed his tie? to match the boys? I LOVE it! I've turned a few men's ties into two little boy ties to be totally matching Lester's.

Jocelyn said...

TaLaisa, you DO know someone with a Sam's membership! Email me if you're serious and I'll pick some up for you.

And yes, Stanton changed his tie just for me so that they'd all match. He's awesome like that.

Janelle said...

I'd have my girls wear those dresses often too.

Very cute pictures.

Oh, and I didn't mind the lack of photo tutorial on spaghetti sauce. It made the guilt of knowing I'd never do it extremely bearable.

Unknown said...

What beautiful pictures. I can't believe how big Cannon looks, he's grown so fast! You look gorgous, as always. I'm so glad you had such a nice blessing and party.

Greg and Wendy said...

It was a wonderful weekend! What a beautiful family you and Stanton have! We think Cannon is a DREAM baby, by the way. Thanks for a great time, honey. It was fun to have some mom-daughter time during food prep! I love the picture of Stanton with the boys as well as the family picture! And the "fish kiss" pic--just darling! Dad snapped that one! Oh, and the sisterly teasing--much toned down from the early days! (ha ha)! LOVE IT!

Amy B said...

Julie, you all look absolutely BEAMINGLY happy. And yes, you are a skinny thing for a lady who just had a baby! Don't worry too much about the tortocolis. It'll get fixed right up with a little movement and stretching. I think the suggestion to give him as much tummy time as possible is a good one and will help as much as anything else.

Camille Winter said...

Hey Julie! What a wonderful day you guys must have had. Baby blessings are such a special and spiritual moment! Cannon looked so handsome in his little suit! I also wanted to tell you thanks for the wonderful comment you left me about Brooklyn.... It was seriously what I needed to hear. It's so great to know that so many people are praying for the same purpose!!!! You are such a wonderful person and I am so happy to be keeping in touch with you through the great land of the internet!!!! It's a perfect way to bring people together again!!!
Oh and you say Cannon is favoring his right side....So is Brooklyn.... We take her for her 2 month appt on Monday so I am anxious to hear what they say about it. I have been working so hard with her trying to get her so NOT do it..... Anyhow, let me know how it all goes!!! Talk to ya later!

Angie said...

Hey Julie! You seriously have a beautiful family. I love blessing days. So fun and stressful at the same time. You look great by the way. No way you've had 4 kids.

Amanda D said...

Blessing days are so great. What a great way to refill you spiritually. Love the pictures - you have a beautiful family.

Good luck with the PT, I'm sure he'll be fine!