Utah is one of those blessed states with early voting. I took advantage of it today (tomorrow is the final day) -- Judy (my MIL) was kind enough to tend for me. The line was totally doable and I was done within 15 minutes of arriving. Much better than Tuesday will be, I'm sure. I cast my vote, got my sticker, and headed out to my car. On the way out, I ran into a couple Stanton & I knew when we lived in Providence. I said hello and we small talked for a second. Then the husband saw my sticker and gave me a big hug, "Oh, I'm so glad you voted because we KNOW you voted the RIGHT WAY!!" I said, "What do you mean?" He said, "Well, your husband makes over $XXX a year, so I know YOU voted the right way." I smiled and said, "Well, I think I did."
I didn't tell them who I voted for and I'm not telling you who I voted for, but I am going to rant a little here about this conversation.
First. Why do you think it's okay to yell out, "Your husband makes over $XXX a year!"? I mean, how could YOU possibly even know if that's true or not? Would you appreciate if I brashly speculated about YOUR income?
Second. Why would my income level affect how I vote? There are other concerns besides my own tax rate this election. And I'm entitled to weigh what's most important to me and vote accordingly. So are you. Please don't assume I'm voting for the same reason you are.
Third, and most important. "Oh, I'm so glad you voted because we KNOW you voted the RIGHT WAY!!" So, if I voted the "wrong" way, would you be disappointed that I came to cast my ballot? Are you only happy that people vote if they agree with you?
I think this election, more than any other, is an opportunity for us to really weigh issues rather than parties. There are very important decisions to be made and while a president doesn't have the power to make all of those decisions (thank Heaven), he can have a positive influence in those issues. He also has an opportunity to represent us as a nation to the rest of the world. These are important things to consider (at least for me they are) when deciding whom to choose in a presidential election.
I respect those who have spent time researching, listening, and pondering their choices for president, even if they don't end up voting the same way as me. It's one of our great privileges as Americans to disagree and cast our vote according to our own conscience. I'll vote my way, you vote yours.
Here's my favorite political video of the season.
And remember to vote! But be a grown-up if someone disagrees with you, okay?
I'll now go back to my regularly scheduled posts about kids and life around our house. I promise.
19 comments:
Seriously? I was appalled throughout your entire email. Not at you, but that the gentleman you ran into had the guts (or maybe just the insensitivity) to say all the things he did! $$, voting the RIGHT way, etc, etc, etc. I think he needs to venture to "manner" school for a little while. I'm very impressed at the fact that you waited until you got home before letting off some steam. Whew.. ok - I'm done.
And I think I might just follow your lead and go vote tomorrow so that I don't have to deal with the lines too...
Amen. I agree as well. This is an interesting election where I think both parties are really similar in many ways, but there are some issues that are really important to vote on. I like the Craig Ferguson video too. Happy Halloween!
Glad you voted your conscience. It will be interesting to look back on this time in a few years and see if we each still feel the same way we do now. I'm very afraid of seeing our country shift from a people who are self-sufficient and industrious, who believe they can do things on their own, to a people who believe the government can and should provide everything for all.
That was a little soap-boxy, but it could have been worse, huh?
"Animal Planet, always meerkats, never badgers." Best line ever!
That guy was weird. I can't believe he said that stuff to you.
Amen to Lori's comment...a big concern and a large shift from our founding fathers' vision of government's role. That said, the right to vote our conscience is one of the great freedoms we enjoy in this country. We love you!
Oh, and Happy Halloween! Can't wait to see pictures of the kids in their Halloween costumes! Give them loves and hugs from Grandma and Grandpa!
Angie, if you want to go this afternoon, I'm available to tend the boys.
Flip, I KNOW!!! I loved that line, too.
Family, We could debate for hours about how we have the same ideals and how I agree with what you are saying but don't agree with how we are going to get there, but that's not the point of this post.
The point of this post is that everyone weighs their ideals, their views, their plans, and then votes for the person who best represents those. And we can be respectful of the difference.
It's not a black and white/sin vs. righteousness choice. It's politics and the church does not tell us how to vote for a reason.
The point of my post was to remind us that other people may disagree and we shouldn't go shooting off our mouths (like this man did) assuming that everyone agrees with the way we see the world.
NATA, I agree. I loved your post on the matter, too.
I can't believe that guy! How obnoxious.
And I loved the video, I especially agree with the fact that voting is not only our right, but our DUTY!
There is no right way to vote, that's the problem! JK. Kind of. :)
I'm always bugged by the notion some people have that whoever doesn't share their opinions must be idiots. Can't we all just get along?
And the comment on your financial status? Totally obnoxious. And out of line.
Wow, that guy has some nerve and zero tact on the situation. It is so impolite and a NUNYA issue, to speculate income. And how $$$ should affect your vote?
I also love that video. Perfect!
My next favorite is the SNL political review- especially the 'fix-it!' bit.
Julie- awesome post. I think that the video that you posted sums it all up. Voters across the country are looking for solutions to problems that they personally find important. Solutions can come from either side. It's our right, our duty, our privilege to be able to select the leaders of our nation that we believe will serve us in the best way. You are so right, we may vote one way or another based on what we think or feel, but there is no right or wrong way.
Juge, I sure hope you don't think that I would actually believe that voting one way or another equates to righteousness or not. That would be utterly ridiculous. Surely you know me better than that. :)
I have a feeling that the idiot who set you off probably thought you had definitely voted a particular way and was trying to be glib and cute. Highly doubtful that he would have said anything at all if he had thought otherwise. That being said -- what a dope. You never, never, never make assumptions about things like that.
Now, that being said, I love you --and I don't care how you voted... period...end of sentence. :)
The thing I'm worried about is that although we've been told time after time to study this out for ourselves, to pray and vote for the candidates that most closely represent our own ideals and values,...that people will base it on what they see on commercials, or in the papers...or editorials! without really studying it and using their right and priviledge of personal revelation. I bet that person you ran into went home feeling very sheepish and wished for a zipped lip. I hope.
Mother, Our duty, indeed. And as such, it should be taken seriously. I appreciate when it is.
Bythe, You get it. What bothered me was NOT that the man and I had perhaps voted differently, it's that he assumed that since I'm not an idiot, I must have voted the same way he was planning to.
TaLaisa, the "fix-it" stuff is hilarious. And pretty much what we hear on the cable channels, don't ya think?
Trish, Thank you. And I agree.
Lori, Absolutely not. I don't think any of those things about you. I just put religion in there because I guess I'm getting tired of hearing people (not you) say things like "how can you possibly be a good Mormon and not vote ____" Well, I think it's pretty clear why. Sorry, I shouldn't have implied that you were the one making that comment.
And your point about the man is what frustrates me -- yes, he did think he was being glib and cute. But it's inappropriate. No one should assume that someone (based on religion, income, or friendship with them, etc.) is voting the same way as them. And we shouldn't, even when we KNOW someone is voting the same way as us, ridicule those who feel differently. It's just inappropriate.
And I love you, too. I enjoy talking with your level-headed self about these things. And I respect your opinion and appreciate that you share it here freely.
Love. You.
Amy, I agree that basing one's vote on the soundbites is not the best way to decide whom to choose. What I don't agree with, though, is the idea (and to be clear, I'm NOT accusing you of this) that we can know whether someone else did their research or not. We just have to give one another the benefit of the doubt and assume that our vote was based on conviction, reason, and intelligence.
On the flip side, though, I agree with my SIL, Emily, that there are people who are working several jobs and trying to just make life happen who don't really have the time or ability to thoroughly research each candidate, issue, etc. If they base their vote on one value issue or another, I say Heaven bless 'em. It's great to take a stand on those things, too.
Keep the discussion going, ya'll. It's good for us!
You're spot-on Juge. One of the very best things about living in America is the right we each have to hold and voice our opinions, no matter what they may be, and no matter whether we've thoroughly researched them or not. We must do all we can to safeguard that precious right. The day we try to stifle someone's opinion that is different from our own (whether by intimidation, ridicule, glibness, what have you) is the first day on the path toward the end of our own freedom to hold and express opinions.
I don't like the recent trend of groups trying to silence other groups. It really scares me as I contemplate the state of things if I couldn't, say, state my personal spiritual beliefs -- or share important truths that I hold dear.
A lot is at stake every time we go to the polls, is it not?
I'm glad you're not mad at me for what I posted, Juge! :) I tried to call you today, just to make sure. So thanks for posting and putting my mind at ease. You're a great sis. Love ya.
I do agree. The money talkers sound something way too close to the parody of it on SNL.
To be clear. I only watch SNL for entertainment. Not to base my vote on. Seriously I'm ready for it to all be done with. Done. The SNL provides some laughs amid a very tense election year.
TaLaisa, an what terrific entertainment and diversion it has been.
Why haven't I commented on your blog recently? I guess because I'm shooting off my mouth too much here...
YESSS!! Thank you for this! Finally someone with some sense!!
Post a Comment