02 August 2012

Pioneer Day

I love Utah's state celebration of the pioneers.  Love it.  I missed it so much when we lived in Ohio and New York.  We make sure to join in the festivities every year. 

This year, the kids rode on our Primary's float - they all wore their Nico shirts, which was awesome.  It was fun to watch all four kids on the float...but I missed having them with us!  I don't think my kids have actually SEEN very many parades...they're always IN them!  I've got to change that.  :)



And my absolute FAVORITE part of the parade every year is the Stevens family.  They have 12 children and a million grandchildren.  They all dress up in Pioneer clothes, pull hand carts, and play old songs on their brass instruments.  It makes me tear up EVERY YEAR and when I see them I want to have a dozen kids and have them all learn how to play the trumpet.  I LOVE IT!!!!!


After the parade, we ran home, got our swimsuits packed up and headed to Pocatello for my dad's company party.  His company is so cool.  Even though they're in Idaho, they hold their company party every year on the 24th so their employees can have the day off.  They invite all the families of the employees to a water park and provide lunch and water park tickets.  It is just awesome.  Seriously.  What company pays for the grandchildren of its employees to swim and play at a water park all day????  THANK YOU, Idaho Ag Credit!!!  And thanks, Dad, for inviting us every year!

I took a couple of pictures of our time at the park on Stanton's phone.  I'll have to grab them and put them on when he gets home....

After we got home, we bought a cheap-o pack of fireworks and did our traditional broad daylight fireworks show.  The kids weren't nearly as impressed as they used to be.  :)  But they were so exhausted from such a full day that we couldn't justify letting them stay up past 10:00 for another night of fireworks.  It ended up being really fun and the pizza we had for dinner made them plenty happy (what is it about kids and Little Caesar's???).  We even had some spectators from the neighbor's yard.  :)



No comments: