It's already been 2 weeks since Henry was born. Amazing how quickly time flies by with children.
I just wanted to get a few thoughts down about Henry's birth and all the stuff surrounding it.
I went to my 38 week appointment (I was 38 weeks + 3 days) with my doc on Tuesday morning the 7th. I had been progressing a centimeter a week for the past few weeks and we had discussed the possibility that perhaps I would be having him on Tuesday, but I honestly wasn't expecting or even hoping for that to happen. We had gone over to Bear Lake for the Bandito show at Pickleville on Monday night and I was having a lot of contractions. I think I knew in my heart that we were getting close, but I was living in denial. The kids had just started swim lessons and we were in the middle of carpools and busy lives. We weren't ready for a baby!
Well, I was 5 cm at my appointment and Dr. Noorda knew that I was going to go fast based on my previous birth experiences. Because I'd been having so many contractions and had progressed a centimeter since my previous visit, he advised me to be induced. He also made it very clear that he would completely support me if I chose not to be. I knew what was right and what needed to happen. I know my body and if I had waited, I would have been having an unplanned birth at home or in the car. I called Stanton, we talked it over for a minute or two and knew that this would be the day our little boy would come.
I called my friends with whom we were carpooling for swim lessons and they just jumped in to pick up where I was going to leave off, called Stanton's mom to see if she could watch kids after lessons, gathered up my hospital bag and got a few things packed up for the kids. After getting all of that squared away, I ran the swim lesson carpool one last time and went straight over to the hospital after.
Stanton finished up with the patients who were already in the office, cancelled all his afternoon appointments, and was at the hospital by about 12:30. Dr. Noorda came at 1:00 and broke my water. Immediately I went from a 5 to a 6. We knew we were going to make quick work of this delivery. I went for about a half hour, got an epidural, had a bit of pitocin, and hung out watching the Olympics. At about 3:00, my contractions started to get quite intense. My epidural took the edge off of them, but I was still having to breathe my way through them and really focus to get through each one. I have to note that we were watching the US women's volleyball team play during this time. At 3:20, near the end of their second set, I was in quite a lot of pain. And I knew it was getting very close to time to push. I told Stanton to get Dr. Noorda over to the hospital (his practice is just next door). The nurse came in and checked me and sure enough, I was 9 1/2 cm. Dr. Noorda came in at 3:30. I got ready to push and anticipated I'd have to push for 10-15 minutes - the same quick delivery as with Cannon. I was mentally and emotionally prepared. My contraction came and I breathed instead of pushing on the first try. Dr. Noorda reminded me to hold my breath and do what I knew how to do. I pushed for the first real time and Henry was here. Seriously. One push and his head was out. Another push and he was here. Less than 5 minutes of pushing. He was born at 3:36 pm (I looked up at the tv and the women had just lost their 3rd set). It was so incredible. Incredibly beautiful, but also incredibly overwhelming. I've shared this with many friends and family already, but it bears recording here. This pregnancy was the best I've ever experienced. This delivery was my fastest by far. I never really emotionally or mentally prepared myself for the fact that I was going to have an actual baby. When the nurse placed him on my chest right after he was born, I burst into tears. I bawled for a good 5-10 minutes holding him. I was filled with that pure relief that comes from delivering the baby and ridding your body of the intense pain and pressure of delivery. I was filled with absolute joy at the new life that was lying on my chest. And I was filled with pure astonishment that I now had 5 children - one of whom was a real living, breathing newborn baby boy. All of the emotion flooded me at once and I was a wreck!
After that flood of crazy subsided, I was able to really take in the miracle of little Henry's arrival. I'm so blessed to have such easy deliveries. I'm tremendously grateful for my doctor. He was supportive and just awesome. I'm so thankful for Stanton. He is honestly the best man. And oh, how blessed we are to have our little Henry here and healthy.
We were able to leave the hospital just 24 hours after Henry was born and headed home to get ready for Cannon's 4th birthday. Yes, their birthdays are just one day apart!
This was such a wonderful birth experience. I'm so thankful to be able to do it!
(The emotional breakdown moment)
And feeling so much better about all that lie ahead...
Super Dad!





7 comments:
This made me cry (good cry!). :)
Beautiful Julie! Thank you for sharing. :)
Oh I just love birth stories SO much. I was thinking today about Greta's birth and just how much I loved it. (all of my kids' births, of course) - but it truly is the most wonderful experience!! so heavenly and spiritual. i cried when you described that moment when henry was placed on your chest. and that photo is just priceless!! thanks for sharing this. :)
Way to rock it out, mama! I am so glad that you were happy with your birth experience. Sounds like it was perfect for you!!!
Julie!! How fun to catch up with your family. I loved this post. MAN, what a fabulous labor!! That collage of Henry - the bottom left picture - he looks just like your boys!! And that picture of you sobbing your guts out? I love it. What a wonderful mother you are. Love you!!
The picture of your emotional few minutes after Henry's birthday is so beautiful! You can see all your emotions wrapped up in that expression! Beautiful Mom you ARE!
I loved reading this! And seeing the pictures. Almost makes me want to have a baby. I'm so happy for you and your little family. Love you!
Post a Comment