I just had to record this day in the life. One I don't want to forget.
5:30 -- Wake up to Cannon cheerfully yelling, "Mom! Momma! Mommy! Hi Mom!!"
5:35 -- Get him out of his crib so he doesn't wake up the other kids. Turn on PBSKids because I don't want to stay up to entertain him.
6:45 -- Wake up to Brigham coming in the room needing to potty.
6:45 -- Get up and get ready to work out. Get Brigham situated out on couch to watch TV.
6:50 -- Start Level 3 of 30 Day Shred.
7:15 -- Feel like I am actually going to have a heart attack and die.
7:20 -- Finish work out and lay on floor for 5 minutes trying to see straight and not pass out.
7:25 -- Realize that running every day on the cruise did NOT make up for the constant eating and nightly (and sometimes daily, too) desserts.
7:30 -- Drag myself into the kitchen to pour cereal for the kids. Use every last drop of milk in the house.
7:40 -- Shower and spend a couple of minutes talking to Stanton.
8:00 -- Read scriptures to children (while still trying to recover from exercise).
8:10 -- Start Chloe getting ready for school.
8:15 -- Chloe is needing LOTS of extra motivation to get anything done this morning.
8:25 -- Say a silent prayer of thanks for the scriptures. Try really hard to be patient while I help Chloe be free and make good choices for herself instead of me telling her every single step.
8:25 -- Promise Brigham that I'll get out his Cars toys and Lily that I'll fix her fingernail polish as soon as I get Chloe off to school.
8:30 -- Finally get to the point where piano practice can happen.
8:40 -- Get a phone call from Heather (cleaning friend), asking if I'm planning on her coming. Aaaah! I knew she was coming, but I left the house in a MESS last night. Honestly -- I didn't even start the dishwasher and the upstairs is a disaster. Say Yes, I'm planning on you coming and have a momentary freak out.
8:50 -- Chloe finishes piano practice. Realize she hasn't made her bed or gotten her hair done. (One of our worst mornings in a long time) (Did I mention that school starts at 9:00 am?)
8:50 -- Heather and Kirk arrive to clean. Can you start downstairs?
8:57 -- Say prayers with Chloe and send her out the door to school. (And I kept my cool all morning. Thank you, Heaven.)
9:00 -- Get Brigham's toys out.
9:10 -- Fix Lily's fingernail polish.
9:15 -- Start in bedroom and work my way through the upstairs and basement to get things ready for Heather to clean. I was honestly only 1 room ahead of her the entire time.
10:15 -- Start to have fuzzy vision and physical shut down.
10:16 -- Realize I haven't eaten breakfast, which, when combined with the most difficult day of working out in a LONG time and a post-cruise body used to eating every (what seemed like) 25 minutes, equals total blood sugar crisis and need to eat NOW.
10:18 -- No milk. No bread. No cooking eggs because Heather's cleaning the kitchen. No food in the fridge except a leftover container of Trix yogurt (may as well be eating a bowl of sugar with a spoon) from when the babysitter was here.
10:19 -- Don't care about the sugar. Shakily empty container into bowl and mix with granola and literally inhale the whole thing in 2 minutes.
10:22 -- Laugh with Heather about the situation and discuss Jillian Michael's various workouts.
10:30 -- Go to my bathroom and get myself ready.
11:00 -- Say goodbye to Heather and Kirk.
11:05 -- Read emails and get snack for Cannon.
11:30 -- Start lunch.
12:00 -- Help Lily get ready for school (she's already gotten dressed and made her bed earlier in the morning, so help her brush teeth, get shoes on, backpack, coat, etc).
12:10 -- Say prayers with Lily and send her off to school.
12:20 -- Feeling hungry again.
12:22 -- Still no food in the house. Pour a little bowl of granola and add craisins. Not much, but it gets me through the next little while.
12:30 -- Think about planning a menu for the week so I can go grocery shopping. Feel really overwhelmed at the thought.
12:35 -- Open menu planning notebook and realize I've already planned meals through the end of November. Praise monthly menu planning!
12:40 -- Get started on grocery list and check Google Reader.
1:00 -- Put Cannon down for nap.
1:10 -- Get distracted reading blogs and Facebook.
1:40 -- Really put my mind to getting grocery list finished.
1:45 -- Print a coloring page for Brigham.
2:00 -- Realize that while I have planned dinners for the month, I have no idea what to do for after-school snacks or lunches. Make a rough plan for those, look up some ideas on the internet, and finish up menu.
2:15 -- Cannon is still napping and Brigham is happily coloring -- can't go grocery shopping right now...time is quickly slipping through my fingers to get this done before the girls get home. Just can't bring myself to wake Cannon from his nap.
2:20 -- Call my sister and catch up. I've missed her!
2:45ish -- Finish talking to Cindy.
2:50 -- Accept that going to the grocery store is not going to happen before the girls get home.
2:55 -- Figure out an after school snack from the minimal food that's in the house. Pop popcorn, season it (not a usual occurrence around here, we usually eat it plain) and cut up the 3 carrots that are in the fridge.
3:05 -- Read a book to Brigham.
3:20 -- Cannon wakes up from his nap. Go get him out of crib.
3:30 -- Lily comes in the door and tells me that Chloe has fallen on the playground and is really hurt.
3:35 -- Thankfully, Cannon and Brigham are both playing downstairs. Run to playground and help Chloe who tripped on the ripped soccer net and banged up her neck, chin, and eye. Carry her home sobbing.
3:40 -- Help Chloe calm down and get the girls eating their snack.
3:45 -- No homework for Chloe (substitute and a huge relief), Lily starts her homework.
4:00 -- Still working on homework and reading. Boys come upstairs and eat their snack.
4:10 -- Make Sloppy Joes (not on the menu for today, but the only thing for the week that we have the ingredients on hand for -- except for the buns -- we HAVE to go grocery shopping).
4:20 -- Seriously, People! Can we get things finished up here so we can go grocery shopping??!!
4:30 -- Leave for the grocery store.
4:35 - 6:05 -- Grocery shop. Controlled chaos and really, really challenging. My thankful list today chronicles some of the highlights....
6:15 -- Get home and serve Sloppy Joes (without planned salad).
6:25 -- Take Chloe to piano lessons.
6:30 -- Get home and unload groceries.
6:35 -- Put away groceries while Stanton showers Lily, Brigham, and Cannon.
6:45 -- Help kids get ready for bed and downstairs. Lay out clothes for tomorrow.
6:55 -- Stanton reads scriptures to kids while I go pick up Chloe from piano.
7:00 -- Chat with her teacher for a bit. Chloe's ready to move from her Primer books (finished!) to Level 1. Awesome. Also, 2 week break from lessons. Still have to practice, but Awesome that we have 2 weeks to get through everything.
7:10 -- Get Chloe showered and ready for bed.
7:20 -- Stanton reads her scriptures while I clean up the kitchen and gather the clothes left on the floor from earlier showers.
7:35 -- Take Chloe to bed.
7:40 -- Finish sweeping floor and start load of laundry.
8:00 -- Call my mom -- she'll call me back.
8:05 -- Take laundry downstairs.
8:10 -- Talk to Stanton about Elders Quorum and some computer stuff we need to fix.
8:20 -- Mom calls back. Talk for a bit and start to figure out pie assignments for Thanksgiving.
8:40 -- Type thankful list on computer.
8:50 -- Text with Deyette about the week. Reassure her that the kids had nothing but great things to say about her and Duren and apologize again for Chloe telling her that she hated her. (She didn't mean it and was just overly emotional and I know I'm making excuses for my child, but honestly, I know her and in this instance, when she doesn't even remember saying it, I'm just going to give her a pass).
9:00 -- Start typing this post.
9:10 -- Field a couple of church related phone calls for Stanton. Return something to a neighbor (who came to our house to get it -- Thanks!).
9:20 -- Keep on typing the list.
9:25 -- That's right now. And I still have to fold laundry.
Crazy day, but not too out of the ordinary either, nowadays. I'm caught up on the day to day life things at least, and now only have to catch up on everything holiday related. Onward and upward!
7 comments:
Man...I'm breathing heavy right now. I think I'll just go to bed cause I'm tired from reading this post. Love, love, love, that you recorded such a crazy day, you'll be glad you did one day! You are awesome for staying calm through it all! I love days like this when they are all over because I just pat myself on the back that I made it through w/out dying or having a mental break down! love ya sis! Oh, and glad you fit in a second to talk to me!
Love it! I think everyone should document a day in their lives the way you have here. What a great keepsake!
I'm so seriously impressed with you. And, I wouldn't have woken the baby up from his nap either.
Holy crapoly...
You accomplished so much. My busiest days feel like I haven't gotten anything done. I want to be you when I grow up.
how do you even do it? My days look nothing like this. at all. You hang in there. Some day they will be more "free"
Holy cow wonder woman! First of all, I don't know how you do level three of the 30 day shred. I would have to go to the hospital half way through - no joke.
Also, can I just tell you how much I admire you? I hope that when Olivia (and future younger siblings...no, this is not an announcement) is older that I am half the mom that you are. I admire that you read scriptures with your kids and say prayers with them to give them a great start to the day. You are amazing.
Thank you for commenting on my blog! I really appreciate the motivation and advice. I hope that you had a great time on your cruise! Jealous!!!
Every mother should document a busy day like you did here! I feel grateful we had a few minutes to talk, honey! It really seems you have found peace amid the chaos that is the life of a mom. The scriptures and prayer do seem to be that "magic" ingredient. You and Stanton are giving your kids the most important gift ever!
Post a Comment