This time for Cannon. We took him down to the pediatric dermatologist to see if we could get a handle on his acne. He's starting to get some pitting scars and that's not okay in my book...at least not for a 9 month old.
I'm so glad we went. He's got a pretty good case of infantile acne and the dermatologist gave me some very realistic expectations, which I really appreciate. She said we're probably going to be fighting this for years, but that they have good methods of fighting it. So, that's what we're doing -- here's his regiment: Topical BenziClin (benzoyle peroxide & clindomycin) in the morning, topical Tazorac (a retinoid) in the evening, and oral erythromycin (antibiotic) twice a day. It's a lot of pretty heavy duty medication (same strengths as they use for teenagers with severe acne); the diarrhea from the oral antibiotic is already coming on, which is going to be a bear to get on top of. I feel good about the treatment, though, and feel like it's the right direction to be heading.
Anyway, my love/hate relationship with PCMC continues.
7 comments:
Poor little guy... one's not supposed to have to deal with puberty type stuff until much much older! ;o) But I'm so glad that you saw someone at PCMC. Hopefully this new regiment will nip the problem and clear things up for him. Don't you just love the "love/hate relationship" with PCMC.
Bummer! But so glad you have doctors who are willing to help and treat it. I have kids with skin issues and one of my daughters suffered for months with her primary care doctor and dermatologist both saying it was something she'd just have to live with. I finally saw another specialist who immediately said she should not have to suffer as she was and eventually got her all better. I'm so glad when the medical professionals are willing to step up and try stuff (when they can, obviously).
I hope you guys are able to get on top of it quickly. Poor little guy. And mama!
What a smart move to get him to Primary Children's! We hope this works and that he doesn't have to stay on it indefinitely! Perhaps being really aggressive with it will nip it in the bud!
Love you, honey!
Mom
Maybe he won't have to deal with acne when he's a teenager now! At 9 months he could care less and won't even remember. You're such a good mom to be addressing this issue instead of ignoring it. :) Love you!!
Good luck Juj, I hope this medicine works. Love you tons
I'm so impressed. I wonder if I would have done anything or just wonder if it would get better on its own.
Wow. Good job. Poor Cannon with the runs though.
You're a great mom!
Post a Comment