04 July 2012

Grandma Barbara

Sweet Grandma Barbara passed away on June 12th.  It had been several months coming, but the last couple of weeks were particularly telling.  She stopped eating and was very agitated.  Her breathing was labored and she slowly got weaker and weaker.
It was one of those experiences where you welcome death because you know how miserable they've become in their mortal bodies, yet there is sadness that accompanies death.  We all miss her and love her dearly.
Dave spent hours and hours transcribing the life histories she had written on a few different occasions.  She was a neat woman.  She told the good and the bad, but she dwelt in detail on the positive.  She had a difficult adult life.  Her marriage was much less than ideal.  Her family was estranged from one another.  She could have had every excuse to be bitter and hard, but her love of the Gospel and her testimony of eternal families carried her through all of the hard times.  It was amazing to read her history and how she dwelt on the many good things that her life offered.
 We were so lucky to live close to Grandma during these twilight years of her life.  Our children have solid memories of her and a lot of love.  We were able to spend a lot of time with her and I'm so thankful for that -- especially because I'm not as close, geographically, to my own grandparents.  I feel like this is a way to stay connected to them - to lift where I stand and spend time with the grandparents I can spend time with.

Grandma's funeral was wonderful.  Her children came together in love and celebrated her life.  Only grandchildren spoke and sang at her funeral.  It was amazing.  One of the neatest funerals I've attended.  Fences were mended and love was abundant.  It was a spiritual feast.

I was lucky enough to be able to spend some time with Judy helping her during the week before the funeral.  I went and helped her clean her basement and then Rachel and I helped her choose the flowers for the casket and around it.  It was a bonding experience for us and I will really cherish it.  Judy doesn't often let me help her because she knows my life if full with my own little family.  But, I crave that opportunity and really love being able to serve her in any way.  I have been blessed with goodly parents and parents in law.  I hope they all know how very much I love, respect, and appreciate them.

I didn't take many pictures on the day of the funeral, but I did grab this sweet one of the boys during the viewing.

And these at the graveside dedication in Idaho Falls (the funeral was in Hyde Park).
 Actually, Stanton shot these ones.  It was a lovely dedication and it was especially nice to see my mom and Grandma Johnson there.  Grandma knew Grandma Barbara because they raised their families in Idaho Falls and were in the same stake.  Well, and because my Grandma Johnson was on a date with Grandpa Cannon when she met my Grandpa Johnson.  They were all very excited when Stanton and I met and were engaged.  :)

This was a really wonderful day.  The beauty of death at these older ages is that it allows families a chance to be together and reminisce.  We don't get to see the distant family as often as we'd love to, so it was wonderful to spend some time with them.  And I am certain Grandma was overwhelmed with love seeing her family all together enjoying one another.

After the cemetery, we stopped by Grandma's house on Santalima Blvd.  This was the home where Judy and her siblings grew up.

We ended the day by introducing Stanton's entire family to Rupe's Burgers in Blackfoot.  I worked there in high school and loved seeing how much everyone loved it.  We go there pretty much every time we get to Blackfoot and so it was awesome to share it with more people that I love.  :)

A wonderful day celebrating a wonderful life.  We miss Grandma Barbara, but are so thankful she is freed from the mortal body and mind that were holding her captive.  What a joy the resurrection will be  --- reunited with our physical bodies, but those bodies in perfect form - never to separate again.  I'm thankful to the Savior for His love and sacrifice that made that truth possible. 

(The obituary that ran in the Herald Journal)

Barbara Ethel (Smith) Anderson (1924 - 2012)

HYDE PARK, Utah - Barbara Ethel Smith Anderson, 88, died June 12, 2012, in Logan, Utah. She resided in Idaho Falls for most of her adult life. Barbara was born April 10, 1924 in St. Anthony, Idaho, to Clifford Wallace and Elveda Cherry Smith. She married Cannon Christian Anderson on Oct. 17, 1943, in St. Anthony. They were sealed May 31, 1946, in the Idaho Falls LDS Temple. He died Sept. 19, 2003, in Idaho Falls.
Barbara's school years in St. Anthony were busy and happy. She was the drum majorette for the marching band, played the violin and was a vocal soloist in school performances. With grandparents in Rexburg and West Yellowstone, she learned to love that beautiful country. In December of her senior year in high school, Pearl Harbor was bombed. Barbara supported the war effort by traveling all over the county, often four or five times a week with her state representative singing "God Bless America" to sell war bonds. She used to be called the Kate Smith of Fremont County.
Her husband was drafted six months after their marriage and served in Europe during World War II. He learned to lay carpet on his return and years later they operated a floor covering and drapery business called "Cannons" in Idaho Falls.
Barbara was a very devoted mother, wonderful cook and immaculate housekeeper. She was very involved in church and community service. She taught singing lessons and sang often in church and at weddings, funerals and civic musicals. Her religion has given her strength and been an anchor in her life. She served faithfully in many positions and has given countless hours of service to those in need. Barbara served in the Idaho Falls Temple for many years.
Cannon and Barbara had five children, Linda Beal of West Jordan, Utah, Richard (Andi) Anderson of Idaho Falls, Idaho, Judy (David) Allen of Hyde Park, Utah, David (Jennifer) Anderson of Providence, Utah, and Sue Zan (Lance) Hammerland of Lawrenceville, Ga. She is survived by her brother C. Wayne Smith of Centerville, Utah, 14 grandchildren and 29 great-grandchildren with three more coming. She was proceeded in death by her brother James M. Smith.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, June 19, 2012, at the Hyde Park Stake Center, 535 E. 200 South in Hyde Park, Utah. There will be a viewing from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the stake center. Interment will be in the Ammon, Idaho, Cemetery, 3601 Schwieder Lane in Idaho Falls.
We are deeply grateful to the staff of Legacy House and Encompass Hospice for the loving and kind care they provided for Barbara.



5 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

This is a lovely post. I totally agree that when someone of that age & health level passes away, it can be relieving while it is still sad.

Angie said...

Pretty cool story about your grandparents knowing each other! Meant. To. Be. ;)

Tricia and Jon said...

Thank you for your sweet post. Love you!

Amanda D said...

I'm sorry to hear that you lost someone you love. I am glad that you enjoyed the celebration of her life.

Greg and Wendy said...

Just beautiful, Julie. And I'm grateful Mom and I were able to be at the burial. We love the Allen family and are thankful you are part of them.