I had my 36 week appointment today. It was my first pelvic exam appointment. I am already 3 cm. dilated and 60-70% effaced. The baby isn't down in a crazy low position yet, but it's still a concern that I'm that far dilated with 4 weeks to go.
I've been having contractions every day, most days for at least a half hour at a time. I wasn't surprised that I was that far progressed.
Doc has me on a pseudo-bed rest. I'm supposed to take it easy, not do anything strenuous - including going places I absolutely don't need to. It's just for this week. He says this is the most crucial week for baby to stay in - after that, it's no big deal.
The problem is this: tomorrow is Pioneer Day and we have 2 biggish things going on - parade that the kids are in and a day at Ross Park in Pocatello for my dad's company party.
Then this weekend is my family reunion in Rupert. Not something I'm willing to miss.
I absolutely agree that it's important that the baby isn't born this week (in fact, I REALLY want baby to stay in until he's due on the 18th), but I'm just not convinced that even if I keep my current level of activity I'd actually go into labor this week. I'm struggling with following his advice.
12 comments:
If it helps: I was dilated to a 5 for a week with my last baby! And I was always dilated to a 3 for weeks with my first five kids. Just sit down whenever you can, and I'm sure you'll be ok. When I come see you, I'll make you sit! ;)
I'm sure you'll be fine...but recently having a 37week/1day baby in the NICU for 5 days with respiratory distress from immature lungs, I'd say take it easy :)
That is a hard one. Emery was born at 36 weeks with no complications. Good luck with your decision. Love ya!
That is a hard one. Emery was born at 36 weeks with no complications. Good luck with your decision. Love ya!
That is a hard one. Emery was born at 36 weeks with no complications. Good luck with your decision. Love ya!
Ooooh, boy! Just relax and have Stanton give you a foot rub every day.... :)
I just can't believe that you are this close already! I can't wait to see pictures of your new little one!
I'm not going to help the Dr's case either...but most studies show that bed rest has NO affect on delaying labor. I had contractions with this most recent pregnancy starting at 23 weeks, they very frequent and often close together, and I was only dilated to 1cm. It didn't matter if I was active or resting, they were always there. When your body is ready, the baby will come, and bed rest or pioneer day are not likely to change it. So as a NICU nurse, and a recently pregnant mommy who understands, do what you want and enjoy it! :)
when i had Isaac i had been having contractions for 6 weeks, and on bed rest. once 36 weeks came along, i was all for trying to get that baby out! nothing worked though, and silk was enduced
So glad you came, today, and just hope there were no ill effects. I, too, tend to think that babies just come when they are darn good and ready but I think the words: sit when you can" make sense. Love you tons, and looking forward to the reunion. Hope this little guy cooperates and comes when he is due! We can't wait to meet little Henry!
Sounds like you went and everything went ok! I'm so glad. Can't wait to see this little one pretty soon! Let me know if you are being induced and what day and I"ll try to be working or if you go into labor, let me know so I can get you the big room!
Sounds like you did what you wanted anyway, just wanted you to know that I agree that babies come when they are ready, bedrest or not. I was at a 4 for 2 weeks my 3rd pregnancy (Idk about my 4th because I declined all cervical exams, for the exact reason of what you experienced). I hope you can enjoy these last few weeks before life turns upside down again with a newborn!
Post a Comment