Today was a good day. The girls had a decent morning (can you tell this is important to me and makes the whole day feel better? It does). After they got off to school, the boys went down and built with castle blocks (they haven't played with their toys in for.ev.er., so it was nice to see them go play), and I did Yoga for the Warrior - Bob Harper's yoga DVD. It is awesome, but long. So, an hour later (with Charlie going crazy underneath me while in some of the positions), I finished up and got ready. I hung out with the boys for a bit and then got them lunch and off to school. Cannon was actually happy when he walked in to school today, so YAY!!
While everyone was at school I got ready to put all the laundry away (I know my kids should be doing it....whatever...), but instead called my sister, Cindy. I'm so glad I did! I've had gingerbread houses on my list of things I really want to do with the kids this year, but every day I think it's going to be too big of a hassle. Well, she mentioned that she did them yesterday with her kids and it made me realize that I need to stop thinking things are too busy and just do it! She gave me the frosting recipe and I had the houses cut out and assembled before the kids got home from school. They were SO excited to see them as they walked into the kitchen! We got homework and piano practice out of the way and then called Eliza, their cousin who is staying with Judy and Dave right now. She came over and we went to town! Oh, and I used all the candy they traded with me at Halloween, so this was a zero cost activity! It took a good hour or more, but it was so funny to see how differently they each approached their creations. They had a blast and I did, too. And sweet Cannon had fallen asleep in my room, so he slept through the entire thing. I decorated one for him using all the left over candy, so he was happy to wake up to a gingerbread house.
After we cleaned up, we put on Elf and I went and grabbed pizzas for the kids and Panda Express for Stanton and I. The gingerbread houses were such a last minute decision that I really didn't have time to figure out dinner. At one point I looked at Stanton (as I was realizing that take out was what we were going to do) and said, "I chose the better part, right?" He took a deep breath and then agreed with me. I appreciated his sincere approval because I could tell it was against his better judgement. And I'm really glad we made the houses - it was exactly the right thing to do tonight.
On the agenda for tonight: figure out how to sew 20 felt carrot noses and quickly. And maybe even sew some of them. That laundry is just going to have to wait another day...

5 comments:
Cute!
Heck yes, you chose the better part!
I always have a reason not to do this kind of stuff, and like you said I need to just do it. We had pizza on Tues. because we were so busy, and it seriously kept me from having a meltdown. Sometimes it's a must! And they turned out sooo great!
That sounds like fun. Especially the part where you didn't have to make dinner.
Can't wait to see the "build-a-Santas"!
Post a Comment