We spent the morning making breadsticks and exercising (not a useful combination). We left the house in total shambles so we could get to Blackfoot by 1:00. We made the drive with no troubles and had our traditional dinner of clam chowder and breadsticks. And veggie tray and treats and soda and candy and fruit, etc. The kids were in heaven dishing cookies on their plates right next to the veggies and then getting to sit by cousins! They were definitely in raptures being with cousins for so long.
After dinner we visited for a long time (including a long and lively discussion about the girl at BYU-I who was refused at the testing center because her "pants were in violation of the honor code." There's slightly more to the story than that, but anyway, it was a lively discussion that was put to rest when we started the program. The girls each played their recital pieces on the piano and sang the duet (Away in a Manger) that they're singing in church tomorrow. They're pretty talented young ladies, may I say? And Chloe's piano pieces for her recital have been very challenging, so I was really proud of her performing them, even though they weren't perfect. She did really well. And they sang very well, too. I'm glad they have a love for music.
The boys sang Rudolph sort of together. It was mostly Brigham who did the singing. He's not as natural with it as the girls, but thankfully he doesn't realize it and just belts it out anyway.
Cindy's kids clogged, played the piano, sang, and made the sound Rudolph's nose makes when it lights up (through a straw of course...duh!).
Lori's kids sang and played the piano and break danced. We're a talented bunch, I'm telling you! Hehe.
After the program, we had the nativity. Cindy and I brought our boxes o' costumes and the kids were adorable. I didn't take any pictures with my phone because I was holding Cannon. He was being a shy shepherd. :)
We sang a few Christmas hymns (I LOVE) and got everyone changed back to their regular clothes.
It was time for the presents!!! The kids had been super excited about those, of course, so it was a lot of fun to open them up. Our four gave to Regan (Pom Pom scarf kit), Luke (marble maze game that Sara ended up choosing because it was going to cost $30 to ship his gift to China!), Morgan (friendship bracelet kit and scented pencils), and Porter (toy story hooded towel and floor puzzle). The cousins who gave to them were Jordyn (gave Chloe a color your own messenger bag), Emma (gave Lily two new barbies), Todd (gave Brigham a 3D toy story glow color tray), and Gavin (gave Cannon a shake and go RC car with Woody). The kids were all thrilled with their gifts!
My mom and dad pulled off another great gift giving year. For our four, they got new cowboy boots. Oh man, the kids were sooooo excited! I took pictures with the big camera, but I'm blogging this from my phone with just the pics I took on there, so those pics will have to wait.
After the kids all received their presents, my mom and dad gave each couple a giant, heavy box. We opened the paper and couldn't believe our eyes. They purchased a Christus Statue (marble) for each couple. It is large and beautiful. I was just stunned to see it. Such a thoughtful, amazing gift. Thank you, Mom and Dad!
It looks like the one on the shelf in the background there. Again, thank you, Mom and Dad!
After presents, we got on the computer and Skyped with Matt & Sara and family in China. They opened their presents from the cousins and sang "I Love to See the Temple" in Chinese. It was so beautiful. I am not a frequent Skyper, so it was really nice to see their faces on the screen.
We visited for another hour or more after and then got the van loaded up and we're on our way home now!
At some point, I'll get the pics off the big camera and add them here, but the home computer is being occupied by a huge project Stanton is working on bringing all of our video from every different camera and tape onto the hard drive. It's taking a long time, but is so worth it. It has been so fun to watch video from the early days of parenthood and marriage.
The kids are watching Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas and Charlie is asleep on my lap. We've got another hour ahead of us on the road and then serious clean up to do at home. It's been a great day.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
5 comments:
that all sounds so wonderful!
and how nice to have blogged about it before you even get home - talk about on the ball! gotta love technology :)
What an amazing day. I can't wait to see your cuties in their new cowboy boots!
Sounds like so much fun!! Our family party (with my side) is next Saturday. There are almost 30 grandkids which makes the party total end up at 50. It's crazy. I'm interested to hear the discussion about the girl in the testing center, too! I had a similar experience at BYU. When I looked at my shorts they touched my knee, but when I stood back up I guess they really didn't. Anyhoo--it was interesting. So glad you all had so much fun, and the gifts are some great choices!
This looks like so much fun and makes me excited for our party next week! I didn't realize that you were at your party when I called you, Cindy, & Lori. I could have just called one of you I guess! haha sorry about that. Also, I really want to talk to you about that girl at BYU-I. I've been reading lots about it.
To me, it was our best party ever! Loved every minute and love each one of our amazing family! Thanks for everything! (And so glad you were happy about the Christus...we hope they are a wonderful addition to your homes!
Post a Comment