08 May 2011

The Gingerbread Kids


Lily has a marvelous Kindergarten teacher!  Every year the kids get to put together a 10-15 minute opera.  They are responsible for coming up with the story, writing the lyrics, painting the set, deciding the melody, singing, and acting out the opera.  It is in conjunction with the Utah Festival Opera here in Cache Valley and it is such a neat experience!
This year, Lily's class's opera was, "The Gingerbread Kids."  Lily auditioned for a role as one of the Gingerbread Kids (not one bit a surprise if you know LilyLove).  The kids voted and she got her wish.
I don't have a video of the opera yet, as we purchased a DVD of the performance instead of recording it.  I'll try and post the video here as soon as I get it...although my track record with such things is pretty lousy....

Anyway, Lily was absolutely adorable -- she knew every word and every action and performed with gusto.  She was awesome!  We were some pretty proud parents.

I got to help with the costumes this year (as opposed to last year with Chloe's class -- I was barely keeping my head above water back then) and put together the costumes for the 4 Gingerbread Kids.  It was really fun and not difficult at all, which I always appreciate in a project.  Hehe.
As part of the costume, I painted each of the kids' cheeks with Halloween makeup so they'd have big rosy red cheeks.  Fortunately, it really helped them 'pop' on stage and was a great addition to the costume.  Unfortunately, Lily had an allergic reaction to the makeup and ended up with a huge hive on each cheek shaped exactly like the makeup.  Her cheeks were purple, hot, raised, and itchy in that area for a good 3-4 days.  It has since calmed down, although she still has some bumps on her cheeks.  She was a champ about the whole thing, though, and wouldn't trade her starring role for any dumb healthy cheek.  The things we do for the love of the theater....

7 comments:

Nate and Melissa said...

she is so darn cute. I think with her shorter hair she and Brigham look even more alike!

Cindy said...

Poor kid, reminds me of Jordyn's little makeup disaster in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Must run in the family! What an adorable idea for a Kindergarten class!! Your school is awesome...and Lily is adorable!

Greg and Wendy said...

Well, obviously the cutest little gingerbread person EVER! And good for you for helping with costumes. Did you sew some of them? It's a very wonderful thing to help at school. That is exactly what is needed...lots of parental volunteering and support.

So sorry for the allergic reaction, however. I think these allergies run in the family...what do you think!?

Greg and Wendy said...

By the way, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post the video when you get it! We were so sorry we couldn't be there. I think our little Lily was born to the stage!

Chandler Family said...

love you Lil!

Anonymous said...

She looks just as cute with hive-covered cheeks. Great job, Lily!

Angie said...

Great job on the cosutmes Julie!! And Lily - you're such a trooper for dealing with the rosy cheeks for a few days.