Just saw your comment on my blog about the Kindle. I have to tell you, I was so skeptical about it! I love the feel of books too, but I am not one who reads one book at a time. I'm reading at least 3 or 4 and it got a little ridiculous carting them around every time I traveled. Even stacking them on my night stand was a little silly. The Kindle is so compact you really could take it anywhere.
But I love the Kindle. The screen of the Kindle looks like a real book page. It's not back lit like a computer screen, so it's really easy on the eyes. It automatically saves your page and you can add highlights and notes to any section. I downloaded the scriptures and love having them so easily accessible. The Kindle also has a built in dictionary so that if you are reading a book and come across a word you don't know, you can click on it and get the definition.
There are also games for the Kindle. Scrabble is my favorite! I'm totally addicted.
I also think that in a way the Kindle is pretty economical. A vast majority of books are under $10. Most of the 'classics' are 99 cents or free! You can also download MP3s and play music while you read.
The other thing I like about the Kindle is that you can share your Kindle eBooks with other devices. You can send them wirelessly to your phone or computer so you can read them anywhere.
So there's my pitch. Let me know what you think!
PS- I love reading your blog. Your posts about Christmas were so touching. What a magical time of year!!
I read this yesterday and it was definitely food for thought. I also read a few of the comments which just made me wonder about the way we are perceived sometimes. I especially loved the comments suggesting that our blogs are all ghost written and there are members who's callings are to professionally take all the pictures for the blogs.
Honestly, I don't think it matters what religion you are...I read a handful of blogs I LOOOVE (some LDS, some not)...and to me what resonates is two things #1 honesty and #2 the ability to write...and great pictures are a bonus to the above :) If you have #1 and #2 and the bonus....then I'm hooked =) Julie, one of the reasons I started reading and loving your blog is because you were 'real'...and didn't just talk about all the roses and rainbows :)
Thanks for posting this, Julie! It was a fun read, and it made me feel happy too. Not that I fall into the category she was talking about (I wonder if 3 people read my blog), but that people are reading about and noticing that we are different. We actually had a Relief Society Meeting about family history and blogging was discussed as a way to share the gospel. I'd never thought of it that way.
I really liked the article. It is interesting how the "world" does see us as by-and-large a happy culture...good people who love our spouses, our children and life in general...and yet don't want to invite the missionaries in to see why. At least we are being better understood and that is wonderful! Thanks for sharing, hon! Mom
Read this article when you posted it. I really liked it, but laughed a little at how we are all lumped into one happy people!!! Saw the first comment about a KIndle, are you thinking about it, or do you have one. Love mine, Scott gave it to me for Christmas, it is amazing!!! Call me!!!
9 comments:
Fascinating!
Just saw your comment on my blog about the Kindle. I have to tell you, I was so skeptical about it! I love the feel of books too, but I am not one who reads one book at a time. I'm reading at least 3 or 4 and it got a little ridiculous carting them around every time I traveled. Even stacking them on my night stand was a little silly. The Kindle is so compact you really could take it anywhere.
But I love the Kindle. The screen of the Kindle looks like a real book page. It's not back lit like a computer screen, so it's really easy on the eyes. It automatically saves your page and you can add highlights and notes to any section. I downloaded the scriptures and love having them so easily accessible. The Kindle also has a built in dictionary so that if you are reading a book and come across a word you don't know, you can click on it and get the definition.
There are also games for the Kindle. Scrabble is my favorite! I'm totally addicted.
I also think that in a way the Kindle is pretty economical. A vast majority of books are under $10. Most of the 'classics' are 99 cents or free! You can also download MP3s and play music while you read.
The other thing I like about the Kindle is that you can share your Kindle eBooks with other devices. You can send them wirelessly to your phone or computer so you can read them anywhere.
So there's my pitch. Let me know what you think!
PS- I love reading your blog. Your posts about Christmas were so touching. What a magical time of year!!
I read this yesterday and it was definitely food for thought. I also read a few of the comments which just made me wonder about the way we are perceived sometimes. I especially loved the comments suggesting that our blogs are all ghost written and there are members who's callings are to professionally take all the pictures for the blogs.
Seriously, where can I sign up for that?
Honestly, I don't think it matters what religion you are...I read a handful of blogs I LOOOVE (some LDS, some not)...and to me what resonates is two things #1 honesty and #2 the ability to write...and great pictures are a bonus to the above :) If you have #1 and #2 and the bonus....then I'm hooked =) Julie, one of the reasons I started reading and loving your blog is because you were 'real'...and didn't just talk about all the roses and rainbows :)
Thanks for posting this, Julie! It was a fun read, and it made me feel happy too. Not that I fall into the category she was talking about (I wonder if 3 people read my blog), but that people are reading about and noticing that we are different. We actually had a Relief Society Meeting about family history and blogging was discussed as a way to share the gospel. I'd never thought of it that way.
I am glad you linked to that article ... very interesting. hits close to home of course! haha.
I had to put the link on my blog too. that was way crazy to read.
I really liked the article. It is interesting how the "world" does see us as by-and-large a happy culture...good people who love our spouses, our children and life in general...and yet don't want to invite the missionaries in to see why. At least we are being better understood and that is wonderful! Thanks for sharing, hon! Mom
Read this article when you posted it. I really liked it, but laughed a little at how we are all lumped into one happy people!!! Saw the first comment about a KIndle, are you thinking about it, or do you have one. Love mine, Scott gave it to me for Christmas, it is amazing!!! Call me!!!
Post a Comment