11 March 2012

Want to Remember...

I'm working on our Family Home Evening for tomorrow (for FHE this year, we're going right along with the Primary themes each month - it gives us an opportunity to know what the kids are learning about, teach them in the home first, memorize the themes and scriptures, learn the songs for the program, and it makes it pretty simple to figure out what to do for a lesson each week).
Tomorrow, we're going to learn about the 12 modern apostles and the First Presidency.  We are going to talk about General Conference and what we can learn there.  The song I used to learn the 12 apostles is outdated and I can't make it work with all the new syllables in the new apostles' names, so I'm looking for a new song to teach the kids.  I think it's really useful to know the names of the apostles.  (To my non-LDS friends, I know this all sounds like mumbo-jumbo to you!  I apologize and am readily available to decipher any of it for you if you're interested!).
Anyway, I found this cute video on YouTube that I want archived here.  I don't think I'll try to teach it to the kids tomorrow -- it's pretty lengthy for our lesson span -- but I would like them to be able to watch it and enjoy it.  And I don't want to lose track of it.  :)





Here's the one I think I'll use -- it's quick and concise.



I don't think we'll actually watch the video, but I will practice the song tonight and tomorrow so I'll be able to teach it to the kids.

I'm not sure what else we'll do.  I'm considering using the Apostle Fact cards linked at the bottom of the page HERE to learn some fun things about each apostle. 

Any bright ideas?  Last week, we did a game where the kids took turns telling everyone directions I would whisper in their ear.  That helped them understand that a prophet is someone God uses to give us directions.
We then played a little charades game using quotes from a few of the prophets/apostles.  It was a lot of fun. 
Guess what?  The kids had the EXACT same activities in Sharing Time today.  This is why I'm so glad we're doing our Family Home Evenings this way this year!  Out of the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses shall my word be established.  And I love that they're learning these things at home first.

Anyway, those are my fabulous ideas for the week (har).

2 comments:

Erica said...

Dave has used that song. I think his friend is the one who wrote it. It's pretty awesome! I never thought of teaching it to my kids. Great idea.

Cindy said...

Good idea Juj! I love your little song you made up....I might steal it!