We did a lot of this...
We did do a little sightseeing, though. I hadn't seen a few things on the east side of the island so we went over there. This is me at Blowhole -- when the waves crash here, the mist shoots up through a tunnel in the rocks -- it looks like Old Faithful. It was a neat place. We tried to hike Diamond Head, but it was closed (when is Diamond Head ever closed?). I still haven't done that, so I'm hoping we'll get to in May when we go for Stanton's AAPD conference. I'm also hoping to snorkel at Hanauma Bay on that trip -- it just didn't work out this time.
I didn't take any pictures at all of the restaurants -- can't believe it. But it was a lot of fun. Eating out like that makes me grateful to come home and make a meal, strange as it seems. In fact, for dinner last night (this is after a red-eye flight from Honolulu and a morning spent picking all the kids up from their various babysitters...), I made chicken soft tacos -- complete with home-made whole wheat tortillas and brown rice and beans. Nothing like a week of no dishes and eating out to make you feel all domestic again. And I needed that -- I was in a total dinner rut.
Let's see, other trip highlights...we went on a glider ride over the island. I should have known it wasn't going to go well when our flight number was...
Cannon was an angel, as always. He rode in the back of the van and either slept or gooed most of the time.
The kids had a great time visiting their cousins and aunts and uncles. Chloe stayed with my sister, Lori. I think it was really fun for her to be the little sister for once. She had a great time with Todd, Kate, & Jack, and even got to see Grandma & Grandpa Rose while she was there. Thanks, Lori & Brad. Chloe loved it!
Lily stayed with Stanton's sister, Julie. She called her "Juliewebb" (Lily has a name thing -- she calls her nursery music leader "Oh Here We Are Together" and has little names like that for most people she meets). She loved being with Juliewebb and really adores her. I think her cousins might be glad to get back to normal, though. Wednesday (the day before we got home), Lily came into the kitchen with her wrists and ankles bound in duct tape and a piece over her mouth. Julie was, obviously, shocked and went to investigate. She asked Amanda, her 10 year-old what was going on. Amanda said, "Mom, I just couldn't take it anymore!" Lily is Lily is Lily is Lily and she wore the girls out with her screaming, I think! But she really had a great time and felt pretty special to get to stay at Aunt Julie's. Thanks, Julie & Scott! We love you!
Brigham got passed around a bit -- he started out with Shaynna, my good friend. Chrystal picked him up shortly after and took him to Tremonton to stay with my Aunt Christie. He spent Thursday - Sunday there and had a blast. He got to go out to the farm and see the tractors (Christie mentioned he was especially partial to the green ones -- no surprise there!) and the cows -- he loved that. After a fun weekend there, he came back to Hyde Park and stayed with Ann, Stanton's sister at Dave & Judy's. He had a great time with Katie & Allison and just went along with whatever games they wanted to play. Ann took them all back to her house in Syracuse on Wednesday and he was there till yesterday when we picked him up. All reports are that he was a good little guy and very mellow. I love that part of his personality. He really adapts well, which I hope continues in the years to come. Thanks Christie & Scott and Ann & Don. We appreciate you making sure Brigham was happy!
Going away always makes me happy to come back. The kids are (mostly) playing well this morning -- pretending to be in Hawaii, going camping, cooking dinner, etc. I want to be a nicer mom and (mostly) have the patience to be better with them. Being away reminds me what a blessing it is to be mom to these incredible little people.
9 comments:
Oh my goodness. Just reading about the plane situation is giving me anxiety and I'm not kidding. Did you know Stanton had to prescribe me something so I could fly on my honeymoon? Seriously, I'm a freak and I feel for you, I would have just screamed and cried and my flight would have last 1 minute instead of the 15 you were able to endure. So props to you. The rest of the trip sounds wonderful! I'm happy you got to relax!!
Wow--sounds like a great trip! I'm jealous. And I'm so impressed that you lasted for a full 15 minutes on that glider ride. Scary! You're awesome.
It sounds like an amazing trip! I'm glad that you got to go. I hope you'll share some more pictures of Hawaii - I've never been!
Oh, can I just live through you, right now? The trip sounds wonderful (except for the close quarters of the glider ride). So glad you had relaxing and enjoyable vacation! Now, it'll take another week to get back into the 4 kids, cooking, laundry, cleaning, and being a Mom routine. Have fun ;o)
When I graduated from BYU-H we went on glider ride and I was surprised at how well I did. Normally I would be freaking out but it was so gorgeous.
Mmmm, the Hulikau Cafe. They make the most heart stopping yummy goodness.
Flip! I forgot you went to BYU-H. Don't you love Lai'e? Stanton's family is part of the Hukilau house group. I love Hukilau Cafe -- I have to eat there at least once every time I visit. MMMMMMM.
Sounds like a heavenly trip except for the plane ride! I would have been throwing up without question and Dad would have bailed out due to claustrophobia! NO WAY, NO HOW!!!!
Wow. What a fun trip. Now I don't feel bad about our (few) canceled trips to Hawaii, I can look at your pictures and live vicariously.
Sounds like it was a lot of fun.
Fun!!!! You deserve a vacation!!
Post a Comment