Remember last year when Cannon was our first kid to have an accident needing stitches and ear tubes? He continues to be our hard luck kid. Yes, I know that Brigham has had major open heart surgery, but Cannon is our accident prone kiddo.
Anyway, the night before Stanton and I left on our trip, Cannon and Chloe were goofing around in the kitchen. They were rough housing, but not anything really out of the ordinary. I didn't see it happen, but from what I can reconstruct of the situation, he fell funny so the top of his foot was on the floor (our hard kitchen floor) and Chloe fell on him. It was the right angle and impact for a freak accident. He cried one of those really terrible "I'm really hurt" cries, but calmed down pretty quickly. He would limp around intermittently and cry here and there, but we were able to calm him down every time. Well, he woke up twice in the night complaining of his foot hurting and by morning when he was still limping around and complaining of foot pain, I wondered if something was up. Facebook to the rescue! I had one neighborhood friend in particular who really encouraged me to take Cannon to the doctor. I realized that she was right when I considered the fact that I was leaving out of town that night.
So, what was going to be my day to pack, make the schedule for the babysitter, clean the house, finish up the laundry, etc., became an entire day in the doctor's office and orthopedic's office. Cannon broke the first metatarsal bone on his left foot right near the growth plate and ended up needing a full cast. He did really well during the entire process and has adapted amazingly well. In fact, despite the PA's warning that Cannon might start crawling again for a while, Cannon walked out of the office on his own. He's been a gem and looks dang cute in his green cast!
This was him in the middle of the night. Same night as the "Melt My Heart" post.
Leaving the orthopedic's office.
Another post on his cast later. For now, my computer battery is about to die.
I'm really proud of him for how well he's handled everything. What a trooper!


4 comments:
Poor sweetie! But his cute curly hair is just the bomb. :)
Oh, he looks so cute, and the babies are STILL worried sick about this (mommy, Cannon broke her leg) They haven't figured out the "her, his" thing yet.) Anyway, you should know that he is one loved little boy.
I have a child like that! Sweet boy. I hope it all heals well.
Poor baby boy, I had know idea. Is it off now!!!
Post a Comment