09 July 2011

Celebrating

A week ago, when Chloe had her first two consecutive nights dry, she asked if she and I could get root beer floats by ourselves if she went 7 nights dry. I was a-okay with that!
We got everyone showered, got the dishes done, and then headed out the door. LaBeau's was the destination. We had root beer slush floats, French fries, and great conversation. We talked about Ivy League schools, what skills you have to learn to get to them, chef school, how Chloe is fantastic at pretty much everything she tries and so it's hard to decide what she wants to do as an adult (love this self-confidence!)-- will I dance? Will I be a chef? Will I be a math guy?

We talked about children and marriage and I embarrassed her/made her laugh her head off by singing "Somewhere Out There/Somewhere Over the Rainbow" at the top of my voice. Don't worry, we were outside. :)
We drove home with the wind blowing our hair in every direction. It was pretty much perfect.
















This young lady, in spite of the challenges that she has with her strong will, is absolutely delightful. She is intelligent, witty, kind, insightful, inquisitive, and a blessing to my life. I told her tonight about how I wanted to be a newscaster as a career and was pretty sure I wouldn't ever have kids because that would put a halt on my career aspirations. I expressed how grateful I was that I had abandoned that dream and replaced it with the real joy that can only come from family, children, and a foundation in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It was the best decision I ever made.

I love Chloe so much. She is such a blessing to Stanton and I.

-From the ol' iPhone

6 comments:

And We Sailed On said...

Pefection. i love those moments. Way to go, you are a fantastic mom!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

What a lovely post.

Amanda D said...

What a fun night! And definitely worth celebrating. :)

Anonymous said...

I wanted to be a news broadcaster, too! But I'd much rather be home with my kids then on the 5 am news-- for sure! :) What a fun evening for you both!

Alysia Cook said...

Brad said to me the other day, "mom, I don't know why, but I am good at pretty much everything I do."

It must be an oldest kid thing...I love it!!!!

Greg and Wendy said...

This is one of my favorite posts ever! A mother-daughter outing to remember and an eternal lesson taught in such a beautiful way!