18 May 2010

Le Poule

Thank Google for that little bit of Fronce' there.

Anyway, in just a few short weeks, our chickens have gone from this:


to this:

to this:

{insert picture of enormous, beautiful, fully feathered chickens....HERE....}


And this little girl just as fond of them now as she was then.

She loves to go out to the coop Stanton built and let the chickens out into their run.  She loves to sit and stare at them as they wander around pecking for food off the ground.  I think there's a bit of solace her little soul receives when she's around animals.

Speaking of the coop Stanton built, here it is, the Coop de Ville:
 Stanton built it off the side of our existing shed.  The open part in the back is a covered wood shelter and inside there are 4 nesting boxes and a 4 level roost.  Their food and water hang from self-regulating feeders  in the ceiling.  The chicken door on the bottom opens from a pulley system on the side and the chickens have the full run area to get exercise and sunshine.  There are two people doors, too.  One leading to the garden so it can be mucked easily (fertilizer for the garden!) and the other out to the cement walkway for easy access in the winter.

We've had a lot of fun with these little pets.  They've been just perfect for us.  And we're getting six more chicks on Thursday!

9 comments:

And We Sailed On said...

wow, that is one fancy coop! I want one! overwhelmed... I know exactly how that feels. xoxo
Emily

Chandler Family said...

Nice chicken castle! I love the pic of brig outside painting rocks! So cute! Also the chocolate pudding is charming!
sure love you guys. We need to come visit soon.

Cheryl said...

Le Jealous. I seriously want chickens one day! I'm starting with a small garden this year. Then maybe we'll move onto chickens in a few years. We'll see how it goes.

Can I come visit you this summer? Not like you have a choice. ;)

Cindy said...

Sweet! Stanton did an awesome job on that...I'm still in awe that he put that thing all together. Love that Chloe loves them so much still, she's such a doll. By the way, love the picture of Lil asleep in the corner, don't you love when they outsmart you??? Mine do all the time. Oh, and I love you in a mustache, you should really think about growing one:) he he he

Anonymous said...

Ever since I was a kid and saw Laura Ingalls collecting eggs in a cute little basket from their chicken coop, I wanted to do it. You seriously have farm fresh eggs now, don't you. {Jealous}
And I probably shouldn't admit this, but when I saw that picture of Chloe just after the first pics of the chickens (hadn't scrolled yet) and you said she still loved them just as much...for some reason I thought loved them as in fried chicken. Oops! Glad they're still around! :)

Emily said...

That's pretty cool. Definitely something fun for you kids to be able to say that they've been able to experience!!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you were so into this chicken business. I think it's awesome that I have a friend with an honest to goodness chicken coop.

Darci said...

I think it's great that you are brave enough for chickens - in a neighborhood even. What fun memories for the kids.

Amanda D said...

You are a much braver woman than I am. Chickens are far too much responsibility. :)